Work + Money
- Babble.com | Work + Money | Mon, Nov 26, 2012 4:03 PM EST | CommentsWith another Cyber Monday today, the debate continues as to whether the live retail experience is better or yields deeper savings than its online counterpart. In a recent survey of 100 online moms, we found that comfort and speed are the top reasons for sticking with cyber stores to complete your shopping this year.
7 Reasons Why Cyber Monday is Better Than Black Friday
Here are 7 reasons for going with online to shop versus driving to your local mall:
1.) You don't have to travel!
You can't beat the ease with which you can simply go from place to place online. If you have a strong broadband connection like FIOS - you can walk from store to store without having to find a new parking spot.
2.) You can purchase items with the click of a button.
Traditionalists will argue that touching that sweet leather on the Bottega Venetta you're entertaining for your BFF is best purchased after you touch it - but I say, I can imagine the sweetest scent of soft Italian leather easily and without the crowds online and just click SHOP!
Related: 10...Read More »
- Lylah M. Alphonse, Senior Editor, Yahoo! Shine | Work + Money | Mon, Nov 26, 2012 3:26 PM EST | CommentsEven after years of living in New York, Jenna Bush Hager says she's never strayed far from her Texas roots. Now, the daughter of former President George W. Bush once known for her party-hearty personality, will have a chance to let her Southern side shine as the editor at large of Southern Living magazine.
Jenna Bush Hager and her husband, Henry Chase Hager, in October. (Photo: Gary Gershoff/WireImage/Getty)
"I'm kind of like a homesick Texan living in New York," she told the New York Times. "I grew up reading this magazine. My mom had a subscription. It's something that I've always known about."
Related: Jenna Bush Hager interviews her dad on "Today"
She'll be contributing to the magazine's celebrity-news fueled "Paper Napkin Interview" column and blogging for them at The Daily South, where she'll also cross-post from The Novo Project, an inspirational blog she founded with her friend Mia Baxter.
Related: Presidents' kids talk about life at the White House
Southern Living was launched in 1966 "to highlight the beauty and culture of the growing South," according to its publisher, Sout...Read More »
- Jessica Ferri | Work + Money | Mon, Nov 26, 2012 3:18 PM EST | CommentsIn what was a shocker to both the audience and apparently to her best friend Gayle King, Oprah Winfrey announced at O Magazine's annual conference in Los Angeles last month that she had recently weathered a breast cancer scare, according to The New York Times.
Oprah speaks onstage at the O Magazine conference.
She did not share much detail, aside from saying that it had only been a false alarm and that she is in good health. According to the Times, Gayle King, who was onstage with Oprah at the moment, appeared to be surprised and upset at the announcement. One woman on stage noticing King's surprise, chided Oprah for not telling her friend in private and asked her to apologize in front of the audience.
Oprah's representatives did not respond to Yahoo! Shine's request for comment.
Oprah's health scare is just one of many struggles the media mogul has dealt with over the past year. Her popular television show ended after 25 years on the air and her new cable network, OWN, continues to strive for a foothold in ratings and audience.
25 ...Read More »
- Astrology.com Financescopes | Work + Money | Mon, Nov 26, 2012 1:44 PM EST | Comments
Aries (March 21 - April 19)
Your entire focus when it comes to money is on gaining possessions. You need to broaden your interests, Aries! Money isn't everything but it is something, so sock some of it away while you have the chance. You have enough 'stuff.'
Today's Aries Reading: Free Sample Numerology Portrait
Taurus (April 20 - May 20)
Flattery will get you everywhere today. And why not? Increase someone's enjoyment, happiness and self-esteem today, just for the sake of doing it -- and then watch your bottom line benefit.
Today's Taurus Reading: Free Sample Life Path Reading
Gemini (May 21 - June 21)
You know the old cliche -- when one door closes, another one opens. You're not sure if that's true or just a security blanket, but you are s
- Galtime.com | Work + Money | Mon, Nov 26, 2012 11:11 AM EST | CommentsConsumer protection and fraud prevention
Avoid getting scammed!
With more and more business being conducted online, fraud is on the rise. We're vulnerable to theft in a multitude of ways via the electronic trail we leave behind and the threat of online scams.
Let's take a look at four ways to avoid getting scammed and how you can make sure you haven't already fallen victim.
1. Only do business with reputable vendors
Conducting business with reputable vendors is easier said than done, especially with the number of small businesses and individuals selling products and services online. Check user-generated reviews, consumer ratings, and consumer review sites (for larger businesses) before buying.
Google the name of the person or business and the item they're selling in order to verify that others haven't been taken advantage of. If the business is unfamiliar to you, ask friends on Facebook, Twitter, or other social networking sites to share any p...Read More »
Today on Yahoo!
PICK OF THE DAY
- Shopping steals in Jan. Work + Money