Work + Money
- Piper Weiss, Shine Staff | Work + Money | Fri, Dec 7, 2012 2:42 PM EST | Comments
If it seemed like this year's TV slate was particularly entertaining, there's a reason: women. They're not just in front of the camera, they're literally running the show. The Hollywood Reporter's List of the 100 most powerful women in entertainment pulls the curtain back on the CEO's, presidents and creative executives steering the pop culture mothership in 2012. Most of the women in their round-up are TV executives holding down key roles in what used-to-be a boys-only club. You can thank these women for convincing networks to spend millions on a show about storage spaces, convincing a movie star to do a TV movie, and convincing you to watch one more episode of "Kardashians"--even nothing really happened in the last three episodes. Yeah, they get us.
...Read More »
- Tips On Healthy Living | Work + Money | Fri, Dec 7, 2012 9:52 AM EST | Comments
Author of Social Q's
No more scented candles! If we wanted our homes to smell like "Summer Rain" (with its sticky humidity and propensity to mildew), we'd move to Seattle-or buy the stinky candle ourselves. Don't take my word for it. I've got scads of letters to prove it. They come to me care of "Social Q's," the advice column I write for the Sunday Styles section of The New York Times (and now a book of essays about how to skate through the most awkward moments of your life).
The holidays are a few of them. And while we're on the subject of holiday gifting, please put down that "personality" sweater, jaunty hat, sachet of lavender potpourri, and zippy necktie. Now! We don't want them. Trust me.
Cases in point: I am a 35-year-old woman, and my father has given me a silk scarf for every Christmas and birthday since I was 21. Do you know how many silk scarves that is?
Let me guess: Twenty-five too many?
Or this one: My children have decided...Read More »
- Astrology.com Financescopes | Work + Money | Thu, Dec 6, 2012 3:43 PM EST | Comments
Aries (March 21 - April 19)
Things are pressing, and you may miss something important in all the urgency of the day. Be sure to go over dates, bills, payments and any other items that could put a wrench in the works if they were overlooked.
Today's Aries Reading: Free Sample Destiny Reading
Taurus (April 20 - May 20)
No more grousing, Taurus! All your complaining is costing you and everyone around you a pretty penny. Besides, talk is cheap; if you think you can do a better job, then lead the way.
Today's Taurus Reading: Free Sample Extreme Makeover Tarot Reading
Gemini (May 21 - June 21)
Be careful what you wish for -- the universe will be taking you seriously today! Even the smallest oaths or swears made in jest have a ripple effect, even if it takes a while to see the result
- Babble.com | Work + Money | Thu, Dec 6, 2012 3:31 PM EST | CommentsIt happens every year: I go to wrap up the presents for the kids and discover that I've bought WAY more for one kid than the others. It's not that I play favorites. It's that I am terrible at tracking what I've purchased. I tend to shop all year round for holiday gifts and sometimes I forget what I've already bought.
6 Tech Tips for Tracking Holiday Gifts
Sometimes I buy the same things twice.
Funny as this sounds, it's not so funny the night before a holiday when I'm trying to find a way to even the scales.Things get even messier after the holidays when it's time to thank people for the gifts we've received. Who gave us that game again?
I'm not completely without resources. I'm armed this year. There's apps out there for people like me.
Related: The 10 best places to get gifts for foodies on the web
Want to stress less this season about what you're buying, getting, and who to thank? Thankfully there are a bunch of ways to track your purchases and say thank you for the gifts you've...Read More »
- Betterhealthblog.com | Work + Money | Thu, Dec 6, 2012 11:10 AM EST | CommentsFinancial consultants may have a hard time coming up with innovative business solutions, but there some effective promotion strategies that all organizations can benefit from in order to expand their sales. Continue reading to learn 6 of these tips.
How Advisors Can Enhance Their Business Organically
Community groups are a must for financial consultants. While most advisers recognize this, they often end up in the wrong group. Advisors should join 2-3 groups where they not only will find their target customers, but where they can contribute wholeheartedly.Reliance on Client Referrals
A business can benefit heavily from client referrals, especially new ones. Referrals can be generated when the business asks the client for leads (solicited), when clients refer the business to other customers (promoted), and when a client comes to the business without any prior action by the company itself (spontaneous).
The last category is a treasure...Read More »
Today on Yahoo!
PICK OF THE DAY
- Shopping steals in Jan. Work + Money