Working at a women's magazine, you tend to pick up all kinds of useful information. Some of it is style advice, some of it is of the sexy variety (which, let us say, the men in our lives have benefited from), and some of it is just plain old practical.
We've heard that cleaning windows with newspaper gives them a streak-free shine, and that you can de-fuzz a sweater with a disposable razor, and that vinegar will attack the mildew smell on musty towels. In fact, we thought we'd heard all the household hints there were, until we saw the 6 Minute Solution in our June issue:
Drain all stopped up and no chemical clog-remover on hand? Save yourself a trip to the supermarket with this at-home recipe, which will dissolve most organic material that's stuck in your sink.
1. Pour 1/4 cup baking soda into clogged drain.
2. Top it off with 1 cup vinegar.
3. Let it bubble and fizz for five minutes.
4. Pour boiling water down the drain.
Whoa. we had no idea you could do that with baking soda and vinegar! (Isn't science cool?)
How about you - do you have any clever household hints of your own? Or have you tried any you've heard and been surprised? (Or disappointed?) Share 'em!
More from REDBOOK:
Why the Right Bra Instantly Takes Off 5 Pounds
Diet Myths That Make You Fat
Mini-Makeovers That Boost Your Look and Mood
10 Ugly Truths About Men Revealed
- Get More on Love, Family & Fashion - Subscribe to REDBOOK & Save up to 84%!
Connect with REDBOOK:
- Become Our Fan on Facebook
- Sign Up for REDBOOK's Free Weekly Newsletter
- Follow Us on Twitter
- Enter to Win FREE Daily Prizes
Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.