Your PC ran great back when it was new, but it's gradually slowed down to a snail's pace. There are a number of things that can cause computers to bog down, but luckily there are steps you can take to remedy most of them. While they may sound complicated, if you follow the advice below you'll find help is just a few easy clicks away.
Here's how to keep your computer and keyboard clean.
Routine Window Maintenance:
- Delete unused programs. You can do this by going to add/remove programs in the control panel or with Disk Cleanup.
- Detect and repair possible disk errors that may be causing troubles by following the process detailed here.
- Run the disk defragmenter application which will organize information on your hard drive and help your computer access it easily. Find the defragmenter in "properties" under My Computer.
- Make sure you have virus/spyware protection such as Norton Antivirus or McAfee installed.
- Low computer memory (RAM) is a common cause of PC slow-down. At most electronics stores you can buy more memory for around $50 which is a fairly easy install, or you can have it done at an electronics store such as Best Buy fairly inexpensively.
- If these tips don't help, it may be time for a new or upgraded machine, or a more thorough investigation. Take a look at our netbook reviews if you're considering a small portable computer.
More from Good Housekeeping:
Effortless Ways to Slash Your Bills
Home Decor for Less than $35
Smart Outfits That Will Land You That Job
Find the Best Haircut for Your Face Shape
- For More Tips & Tricks You Can Count On: Subscribe to Good Housekeeping & Save!
Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.