Walmart Coupons and Money Saving TipsBy: Kate Parham
As we continue to analyze shopping strategies at the nation's largest retailers, including how to save money at CVS, Kroger, Walgreens, Target, Safeway and Rite Aid, we finally reach the big kahuna: Walmart.
Walmart is the 18 th largest corporation in the world, the biggest private employer in the world and the largest grocery retailer in the United States - whew! Fortunately, despite the grand titles, shopping at the mega-retailer is actually a breeze. Here's what you need to know about Walmart before shopping:
Sales Cycle: Walmart does not regularly put out weekly ads. Instead, what you'll need to watch for are "Roll Back" prices, which are sales prices at the store. Combine those Roll Back sales with a coupon and you'll maximize your savings!
Bonus: Top 5 Places to Find Coupons
Rewards Program: Walmart does not have a rewards card or program.
Bonus: Secrets of Extreme Couponers
Coupon Policy: You can view Walmart's full coupon policy on their website, but here is a brief overview:
- Walmart accepts the following types of coupons: Manufacturer's coupons, Catalina coupons (except those that are dollars/cents/percentage off the entire basket purchase), store coupons, pharmacy coupons, Internet coupons and soft drink container caps.
- Walmart does accept Internet printable coupons, but there are a few guidelines: coupons must be legible/scannable and have the words "Manufacturer Coupon" printed on them. There must be a valid remit address for the manufacturer and an expiration date.
- Walmart does accept competitor coupons, so long as the coupon matches the item requirement for size, brand and product with a specific price listed. They will also match competitor prices. Simply tell the cashier the price match before scanning your item. You don't need to bring in the full ad, as cashiers will have copies at the register to verify price. You can also price match an item and then use a manufacturer coupon. But, keep in mind, Walmart will not price match sales such as "spend $25, save $5" or prices based on rain checks.
- Walmart does NOT allow you to stack coupons. You can only use one coupon per item.
- Walmart does offer "overage," meaning they will pay you to take an item out of the store if the coupon value exceeds the purchase price of an item. The excess may be given as cash or applied toward the basket purchase.
- Walmart does NOT double coupons.
Bonus: 3 Reasons to Buy Coupons on eBay
Extras: If you follow Walmart on Twitter, you will get a "Deal a Day" tweet. And you can view those daily deals on their website. You can also sign up for mobile alerts, where you will receive four Roll Back alerts per week.
Use the Walmart Store Locator to find the nearest supercenter is in your area.
Whether you're a money-saving expert or couponing newbie, you can learn new ways to save money at Quizzle.com, including how to lower your monthly mortgage payment and improve your credit for the best deals on life's largest purchases.