Showing appreciation for co-workers should be as easy as saying, "Thanks, buddy!" But somehow, those two words can sneak through the cracks or come off as disingenuous if they are uttered too often. Office politics, nonstop schedules and confusing etiquette can make thanking your co-workers and boss nerve-racking. Use this simple guide to give gracias to your office mates and when in doubt, just say thanks.
- Say Thank-You! - Offering up verbal thanks doesn't cost a thing and is instantly effective. If your boss or co-worker goes above and beyond supporting you, directing you on a project or even gifts you something special speak up and say thank-you immediately. Pad your thanks with reasons and an explanation of why their effort means so much. A little back-scratching goes a long way when it comes to feedback.
- Send an Email - If you don't see the person you owe thanks to daily, or haven't had a chance to thank them in person drop them a simple thank-you email. Make it short, but sweet.
- Make a Homemade Treat - If you are a baker, show extra appreciation for your boss or co-workers by making a homemade treat, leaving it in the office kitchen and sending an email out to the office. Explain you made the treat as a token of your gratefulness.
- Say Thank-You With a Healthy Treat - Sure, sugary treats are delicious, but they aren't healthy. Recognize your office mates by bringing in fresh fruit from the farmers market or grocery store. By whatever is in season and on sale so you don't break the bank with your gesture. No guilt necessary.
- Make a Coffee Date or Plan Coffee Delivery - Did one person go the extra mile for you? Plan a coffee date with them so you can say thank-you in person, treat them to a latte and have some friendly banter. Fifteen minutes of bonding can go far and will allow you insight into how you can help them back. If you don't have time to take a break, warn them the day before and let them know you'd like to bring them coffee the next a.m. as a token of your thanks.
Job Search Tip: Getting Desperate? Don't Let it Show
7 Weekend Movies That Motivate
Your Two Cents: Do You Ever Say No at Work?
Follow SavvySugar on Twitter
Become a Fan of SavvySugar on Facebook