Uninspired about what to do for your mom this Mother's Day? Here are two ideas that promise to transcend typical offerings - they are gifts that will keep giving and will truly make a difference in the lives of the recipient.
Instead of sending another box of candy full of calories she'd rather avoid or flowers that will wilt in days, consider a gift that will make an unmeasurable difference in the life of someone on the other side of the world.
I can't think of a better way to honor your mother than to help another.
Make a difference in the life of a Refugee
The International Rescue Committee has created a program that will allows you to honor your mother and make a real difference in the life of a refugee family.
For example with $24 you can purchase a safe birthing kit for a refugee mother, which includes vital supplies for a safe home delivery in a conflict zone, plus a blanket and clothing for a newborn other gifts are available and pricing start at $18:
- Mosquito nets for a refugee family in Africa - $18
- Pre-natal care for a new mother living in a war zone - $52
- One year's education for an Afghan girl - $52
- A farming kit, including seeds and tools, to help a family grow food - $60
- Summer school for a newly arrived refugee child in the U.S. - $100
- Job training for a refugee to help her become self-sufficient - $330
Purchase one of these options and the International Rescue Committee(IRC) will send the honored mothers a beautiful, personalized Mother's Day card in the gift-giver's name.
The IRC has been helping refugees since 1933 and you can shop with confidence knowing that 90% of all the funds they raise goes directly to fund programs and services.
Finance an Entrepreneur Around the World. For details, click here.
Related from GALTime.com:
- Travel with a Conscience
- Parenting Quotes That Will Melt Your Heart
- Best 'Mom' Movies Of ALL TIME
Is Mom's Stuff Ever Off-Limits?