The best accessory to this season's holiday party dresses is a set of sparkly lips. Check out our five tips below for flawless application and be sure to try our favorite metallic and shimmery lipsticks and lip glosses.
1. During the holidays, you'll want a look that can easily go from day to night. "Amp up the eye area by blending a dark metallic shade in the crease," says makeup artist Angelique Velez. But keep in mind if you're keeping your eyes dark, wear a neutral lip to balance out the boldness of the look.
2. A deep metallic plum lipstick looks beautiful on darker skin tones. Just check out Oprah working the look. To make a metallic lip look last longer, use the built-in liner to fill in your entire mouth, then apply the gloss.
3. For an ultra lush pout like Iman's, layer a sparkly gloss over your lipstick. "This adds moisture and makes lips appear fuller. That way, you control if you want a subtle shiny lip or a more intense look.
4. "In your 50s, your lips tend to lose the moisture they once had, so prep your lips with balm to plump them up and fill in any cracks," says makeup artist Emily Kate Warren.
5. Smooth, soft lips are the best canvas for any lipstick. Gently rub them with a warm, wet washcloth before applying any color, especially in cold weather when lips tend to be more dry and cracked.