I'd like to follow on my earlier thought about the importance of overall financial health. Just as all aspects of your physical health are connected, so are the various areas of your financial life--your strengths, your weaknesses (and we all have both!)
Feel good about your money! Learn how to keep spending in sync with your core values, avoid financial freakouts and live richly despite a dour economy.This weekend, take the time to notice the ways you do and don't take care of your money. Ways that you let your money take care of you--or not. Keep your eye out for little things you can do to improve your fiscal wellbeing this weekend--the same way you'd look for a window to workout, or remind yourself to take those fish oil capsules.
- Clear out that mail pile and organize your bills, noting payment dates on your calendar--or just, you know, paying them!
- Call a friend and make a point of bringing up a financial goal, or asking her about her own. Or ask her how she handles a problem. Make it positive, enjoyable conversation!
- Pat yourself on the back for your money strengths: Maybe you're naturally frugal, perhaps you're a blue-ribbon saver or you don't have any debt. Give yourself credit!
- Do one small thing to make your financial life easier. If organizing is a problem, buy an accordion file. If debt is a problem, check out the debt calculator at bankrate.com (one of my favorite sites!).
Find out how to make better money choices, get happy at work, live well and have savings to fall back on. It's all in this SELF guide.
MORE FROM SELF:
The SELF Challenge! Enter now and you could win a dream vacation to Antigua!
The simplest way to get fit for summer--and beyond!
- Superfoods improved!
- Upgrade the benefits of the most healthful foods with these simple tricks.
- "I count...six babies in there."
- Fertility treatments create miracles-and scary situations. Read about the anguishing choice one woman faced.
- Subscribe to Self for less than $1 an issue. Get a FREE Healthy Recipe Book download!