I have a confession: I love to clean. I know this is going to make me sound crazy, but I love it so much that even when my husband suggested we hire a house cleaner to help now and then, I said no thanks. (Still, the house is often a mess because I have no time to clean--go figure.) OK, so maybe you're not weirdly into cleaning like I am. And if you need some spring-cleaning shortcuts, I've got some for ya...
I really like the concept of spring cleaning--that once-a-year time when we clean out the closets, the garage, our offices, you name it (and I'm not the only one! A new survey out this week found that only 7 percent of women hate to clean their houses and 25 percent say they find it relaxing!).
So, if you've gotten the bug to do some spring cleaning (P.S. happy spring!), but lack the energy, time, etc., here are a few fab tips to get your space spic and span (which will make you feel happier and healthier, I promise--check out what research says about that!):
1. Open the windows. If you hate to dust, leave your windows cracked open more, says homemaking expert Julie Edelman, who spoke to the New York Daily News. It cuts down on dust, and can do wonders for your bathroom too by cutting back on mold growth.
2. Buy some houseplants. These puppies act as a all-natural air freshener, adds Edelman. Here are some tips, from Vitamin G, for some good, low-maintenance varieties.
3. Invest in some cute storage bins (think non-cheesy baskets, canvas boxes, etc.). No time to label your files, sort your socks, catalog your magazines? Big deal--just throw them in some bins. I love this trick (and I have little storage containers all over my house!). For instance, on my desk is a little basket that serves two purposes: looking cute and housing all the random paperwork I need to file (next century). This strategy also works great for bedrooms and living rooms. Do you change over your closet with the seasons?
4. Don't tire yourself out. Clean in short bursts, says Christina Spence author of the book The Happy Slob's Guide to Housekeeping and owner of HappySlob.com, who spoke to Woman's Day. She recommends keeping cleaning to 10-15 minute bursts, one or two times a day.
5. Never scrub the toilet again. If you live with a male, you'll appreciate this one. If scrubbing off toilet stains (we don't need to go into the details, do we?) is a pain in your you know what, ditch the nylon scrub brush and just pour in some toilet bowl cleaner before you go to bed at night. By morning, the ickies will be gone. Do you know the 5 frightening truths about the germs under your fingernails (and his!)
6. Hate cleaning the microwave? Do this. Rather than break a sweat scrubbing off all the burnt-on food clinging to the insides of your microwave, throw a wet rag in and nuke it for a minute. The steam will help soften the dried-on food and save you a lot of elbow grease.
Planning on doing some spring cleaning of your own? What's on your list to accomplish? I want to tackle my office, which is starting to look like a war zone. And, what type of cleaning tast do you hate the most? I hate doing the laundry.
MORE FROM VITAMIN G:
- Embarrassing Question: Do You Pee in the Shower?
- Salt: Nature's Ultimate Mood-Booster?
- Afternoon Snack: Guilt-Free Chocolate Truffles
- Subscribe to Glamour right now and get an exclusive tote bag free!