We asked Essie Weingarten, founder of Essie Cosmetics, how to get perfectly groomed nails in a flash-and without a smudge.
- Skip the soak and ask your manicurist to apply a lightweight lotion, which hydrates your hands and cuticles just as effectively-but shortens the treatment time by 5 minutes.
- Push back your cuticles instead of trimming them. "This is a smart move in terms of time and safety," says Weingarten.
- Request a single coat of polish to reduce drying time. "Two coats are ideal," says Weingarten, "but one will suffice, provided you secure it with a basecoat and topcoat." Just remember to choose a light, almost translucent shade, not a dark one. "You won't get the dramatic effect of a deep polish in just one coat." More Tips: How to Do a Dark Manicure
- If you don't have time to sit under the dryer, apply a few drops of dry oil after the topcoat to help prevent smudges and dents. "You'll be out the door in 15 minutes, as opposed to 50," says Weingarten.
- And if you're in the most insane hurry ever, forget the polish altogether. Instead, ask for a thorough buff, a basecoat (to smooth and condition), and a topcoat (for shine). "Your nails will have a healthy glow," says Weingarten.
More from Allure: