Color has the ability to make or break a room. Color can be the difference between a bland or boring room and a "wow" room. Adding color to a room is the cheapest way to change a room if your budget does not allow for a complete makeover. It can also awaken your senses or create nostalgic feelings.
Before deciding on colors for your home decor, it may help to know the psychology of color. Certain colors evoke certain feelings within us. For example, red is an energizing, fun, and vibrant color. Some people say that red induces hunger, which may be the reason you will see red in many restaurants. Blue is known as a soothing, calming color. Blue can be used in a room where you want to relax and unwind. The color green has the same effects as the color blue. Yellow is bright and exciting. It can make you feel cheerful and happy.
So, now that you know how colors affect people psychologically, it's time to learn how to choose colors for your home décor. Here are some tips:
* When deciding on a color for a room, it may be as simple as picking your favorite color. However, sometimes it is not that easy. The theme of the room may not be compatible with the color you choose. The black you may choose to paint the walls may not quite go with to the country theme you chose to decorate the room!
* Keep in mind that colors can also open up or shrink a room. If your room is small, choosing a lighter color for the walls and home decor can make the room appear larger. Darker colors can create a cozier room and make it feel smaller.
* An easy way to choose the colors for the walls in a room is to find inspiration from the furniture or accessories already in the room. Choosing a color to paint a room that is already in the room provides a sense of cohesiveness and gives it a designer's touch. One suggestion before you paint the entire room - tape a couple paint chips onto the wall or paint only a small portion of the wall and wait a couple days to see if the color is actually to your liking.
* When choosing colors for the first time, stick to a two or three color palette so you don't feel overwhelmed. As the saying goes, "Less is more". That goes for home décor colors as well.
* Adding color to your home does not mean you have to paint the walls. It can be as easy as adding colorful accent pieces such as rugs, pillows, vases, etc. Beautiful artwork can also add color and drama to a room.
Color does not necessarily mean bold and bright. It can be a smooth, rich chocolate brown accenting a monochromatic décor.
Whatever color you choose for your home decor, the most important thing is to enjoy the process and have fun with it!
Get more home decorating tips!