Trying to lose a few pounds? Start by readjusting your "portion perception," thinking that you have to eat a certain amount to feel full and satisfied. In reality, you can eat a lot less and still feel like you've had a complete meal. I love how so many restaurants are posting calorie info these days, because it really puts things in perspective-but since there are also plenty of places that don't (and adding them up yourself can be tricky), here's a sample of what I call a perfect weight loss day (about 1,600 calories). We count the calories-so you don't have to!
BREAKFAST: Hearty Egg Sandwich (397 calories)
1. Scramble 1 whole egg with 1 egg white in a skillet coated with cooking spray
2. Place on toasted whole wheat English muffin spread with 1/4 c mashed Hass avocado
3. Top with 1 slice reduced-fat Cheddar cheese and tomato slices
LUNCH: Tarragon chicken salad (408 calories)
Upgrade a plain chicken salad sandwich by instead mixing with fresh tarragon, low-fat sour cream, and crunchy chopped almonds. Nestle in a medium hoagie roll.
SNACK: Coffee and cake (390 calories)
Stop by a Starbucks and order a tall skim latte (100) and pair it with Reduced-Fat Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake (290)
DINNER: Pasta shells and garlic bread (410 calories)
1. Microwave 1 Amy's Bowls Stuffed Pasta Shells
2. Rub 1 slice whole-wheat toast with peeled garlic
3. Top pasta with 1/2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese and parsley
4. Broil until cheese melts
5. Serve with 5 steamed asparagus spears topped with fresh lemon juice
More Smarter Eating Tips:End Overeating for Good! Get Portion-Control Savvy
Afraid to face that swimsuit? Lose that winter weight with Liz and 2-Week Turnaround!
Having trouble slimming down? Sugar could be your problem. Find a new approach with The DTOUR Diet book -- Free for 21 days!