0401-reiss-shorts_fd.jpgIn case you hadn't heard, shorts are back in '09. Wait, don't start groaning, stay with me: While you might think that only Aphrodite-types like Gisele can pull them off, there's no need to reach for the thigh master or run for the hills just yet. The trick to feeling and looking good in this warm weather staple isn't magically morphing into a super model bod; it's in these 5 tips for finding the pair that flatters almost any figure. For instance:
This pair of shorts from Reiss is just about perfect, wouldn't you say?
1. Pick a sophisticated neutral color like khaki, taupe, cream. Hot colors can seem kid-ish.
2. Find a medium length (i.e. not Bermuda shorts or hot pants) and avoid pleats (as they make your hips look bulky-and who wants that?).
3. For added oomph: Wear with a beige or neutral colored shoe to make legs seem extra long.
Related: Do you have a good body for clothes?
4. Try a cuffed pair-that extra roll at the hem will make even cheapie finds look luxe.
5. Only tuck your top in if they've got a tailored, trouser-like waistband. Otherwise, leave the top breezily un-tucked.
And that's it! Just grab an oversized bag and throw on a basic tank and you have your all-purpose weekend uniform-perfect for a casual day of errands or happy hour margaritas with your BFFs. I also love the idea of this outfit for a summer date, as it appears low-maintenance and carefree (even if you spent an agonizing hour deciding on the perfect look), while also being leggy and unexpectedly flirty.
Do you avoid wearing shorts or spend your summers living in them? Who makes your favorite pair?Shirin Najafi
More from Glamour's Slaves to Fashion: