"Sitting behind a desk all day is just as abusive to the body as playing a contact sport," says Jay Cardiello, a Certified Strength and Conditioning Coach. "Each year, thousands of people suffer from desk-related injuries such as lower back pain, Carpal-Tunnel syndrome, arthritis and obesity."Cardiello shares effective ways to work out your arms, abs, buns, and thighs without going to the gym or changing into workout clothes! For each exercise, keep your abdominal muscles tight to develop a strong core.
1. The Chair Squat: While sitting up straight, slowly proceed to a standing position. Keep your arms straight out for balance. Repeat and perform 15-25 repetitions.
2. Chair Triceps Dips: Secure your chair against the wall and place hands at the end of the chair. Bend your knees so your thighs and lower legs form slightly more than a 90-degree angle. Bend your elbows and slowly lower your body. Straighten the elbows to raise the body up. Repeat for 12-20 repetitions.
3. In-Place Marching: Stand up straight with arms at your sides. Now, slowly lift your left leg until it is waist height. Next take your arms and-in a big fashion-circle them. As your arms circle forward, drop your left leg to the ground and follow by raising your right leg. You will proceed in this fashion for 25 total repetitions of total forward arm circles. After completing 25 forward circles, continue marching in-place and circle arms backwards for 25 repetitions.
4. Open the Hips: Sit tall in your chair, while drawing your abdominals inward. Next, lift your left foot off of the floor a few inches: keep the knee bent and flex your toes towards the ceiling. Hold this position for 20-30 seconds. Finally, lower and repeat for 20 reps. Repeat on the other side.
5. Get Zen: Stand in a tall position with your feet together and your palms pressed together-in front of your heart-as if you are praying. Next, take a deep breath in and begin to lift your heels off of the ground to the highest position that you can hold for 10 seconds. Follow, by releasing the breath and slowly lowering your body. Repeat for a total of 20.
For four more exercises, go to Easy Office Workout Tips. And, if you have an effective exercises that don't require sweating or leaving your office, I'd love to hear them!