Little tricks - from hand-written place cards to using unexpected color - can help make for a memorable meal.
1. Try Untraditional ColorsThe classic color combo of blue and white adds a fresh feel for fall. "Autumnal colors just pop against a blue and white tablecloth. For the flowers, I took the oranges, yellows, and reds of the fruit for inspiration," says Carolyne Roehm. Tableware from Carolyne's personal collection.
Related: 12 Romantic Bedrooms
2. Use Bud VasesBreak up a large bouquet and place each flower stem in a separate vase. "I do lots of single-bud bouquets, placed so you see the person sitting opposite you - so important," says Janice Feldman, the founder of Janus et Cie. Sambonet flatware. Henry Dean tumblers. Venetian glassware is Feldman's own.
See More: Best Designer Kitchens
3. Highlight a Unique CenterpieceCenterpieces don't have to be a floral arrangement. "I select artifacts my children or I have collected. These pieces have a richness of spirit, a softness of age, and a story," says home furnishings designer Jan Barboglio. Dinner plates from Pottery Barn.
Related: Tour An Open, Casual California Home
4. Mix StylesAn inviting table needs a few surprises. "For more personality, combine all your candlesticks - wood, crystal, and porcelain," says Robert Rufino, formerly of Tiffany & Co. Hampton flatware, Cirque Chinois dinnerware, Elsa Peretti Thumbprint salt & pepper shakers and water cup, all Tiffany & Co.
See more: 20 Decorating Secrets
5. Enjoy Yourself!Remember to relax and have a good time. "Plan everything, do everything, then let it go," says fashion designer Diane Von Furstenberg. Flatware, glasses, plates, place mats, napkin rings, votives, vases, even the corkscrew, Diane von Furstenberg Home.
1. Robert Millman; 2. Luca Trovato; 3. Courtesy of Jan Barboglio; 4. Courtesy of Robert Rufino; 5. Alexandra Rowley
How do YOU decorate YOUR table?
More from House Beautiful:
- Simple Fireplace Mantel Makeover Ideas
- Brilliant Ideas for a Tiny Kitchen
- Eye-Popping Headboard Designs
Amazing Bedroom Designs
- Get More Creative Ideas for Your Home: Subscribe to House Beautiful Magazine