By Sid Kirchheimer | Pet360
Easter may be joyous for you but it can be deadly for pets. Among this weekend's common holiday traditions that are dangerous for dogs and cats:Easter Lilies
Any part of this white, trumpet-shaped symbol of Easter and spring - leaves, flower or pollen - can be toxic to cats, says Food and Drug Administration (FDA) veterinarian Melanie McLean. Kidney failure can result with just a few mouthfuls, or even by licking pollen grains from their fur.
Vomiting usually occurs soon after consumption, which may gradually lessen over two to four hours, says McLean. Within 12 to 24 hours, cats may start to urinate frequently. Then, if kidney failure sets in, expect that the cat will stop urinating. Untreated, death could occur within a week.
Lilies of the Valley, meanwhile, can cause abnormal heart rhythms in cats, while Calla and Peace lilies irritate their mouth and esophagus. So even if you suspect your cat has consumed any part of a lily, seek emergencyRead More »from How to Protect Your Pet This Easter