But a recent study from the brainy folks at PLOS suggests that not only are humans superficial and shallow, but we're also easily manipulated (SURPRISE!). So what did we do to deserve such labels this time? Well, to date, face research has been mostly focused on what we might call natural beauty - face shape, size, symmetry, configuration, and movement of facial features - but until the PLOS team recently took it on, scientists hadn't actually ventured into how grooming, styling, and makeup affected how we judge our proverbial book covers. Oh,Read More »from Study Reveals What Your Makeup Says About You
Blog Posts by Babble.com
- Science (and living life) has long indicated that there is a "beauty premium" (also called a "plainness penalty"), where the more attractive among us are more likely to land jobs, secure promotions, and just generally have more cash than their less comely counterparts. Or as Tina Fey explained it to Jon Hamm on that one episode of 30 Rock, really really good looking people pretty much live in a bubble of better treatment than the rest of us.
- Babble.com | Parenting – Wed, Nov 20, 2013 12:48 PM EST
People are constantly telling me how strong and brave and inspiring I am for sharing my fertility struggles with the world - or, rather, with anyone who stumbles along my writing and those who've decided to follow along. I do feel strong some days. And even brave, too. But I mostly get inspired by others more than I feel inspiring.
Deciding to share my story was easy. I've always been an open book, often sharing more than perhaps I should. But, hey, that's me. For as long as I can remember, I've been a pretty confident person. Sure, I have my insecurities. But over all, I know who I am and I live pretty easily with myself.
When I set out to get pregnant, I had absolutely no idea how much this process would affect me - mostly because I didn't know how many barriers we'd come up against.
For the most part, I try to remain positive. I try to tell myself that everything happens for a reason and that, in time, I will get pregnant. And I mostly believe that.
But this journeyRead More »from How Infertility Has Completely Killed My Self-Esteem
- Babble.com | Parenting – Wed, Nov 20, 2013 12:46 PM EST
Last month, I wrote a post telling the story of a mom who was the victim of some mom-on-mom shaming right in front of me. Right then, lots of bad parenting moments came flooding back to me; like the time I lost my daughter in Barnes and Noble when she was only 16-months-old and security had to block the doors until I found her. Or the time a dresser fell on top of Matilda when she was almost two because she climbed up on it to get into a drawer and someone hadn't secured it to the wall like the baby proof experts beg you to do. I knew I wasn't alone in making parenting mistakes or really just having things go wrong the way they do in life sometimes! We can't be on top of all things at all times, and sometimes no matter how much we try to prevent it, the shiz is just going to go sideways! In order to make us all feel better, I put out a call for bad parenting moments and got flooded with moms who couldn't wait to share their most embarrassing one with us! Thank you to all who wereRead More »from 10 Hilarious "Bad Parenting" Moments to Make You Feel Better About Yourself
- Babble.com | Parenting – Wed, Nov 20, 2013 12:45 PM EST
When you think of celebrities and baby names at the same time, strange word combinations usually come to mind. Pilot Inspektor. Moxie Crimefighter. Fifi Trixibelle. Prince Michael II/Blanket. Audio Science. Diva Thin Muffin. (True story.) But a new baby naming trend involving celebrities is actually ushering forth a bunch of pretty cool baby names. I know! I'm as surprised as you are. As Linda Rosenkrantz from Nameberry notes on The Huffington Post, naming kids with the last name of a celeb is all the rage these days. Names like Aniston, Winslet, Bowie, and Urban. Below you'll find additional celeb last names being used for first names. What do you think? Hit or miss? Would you consider any of these for your child? -Monica BielankoRead More »from Trend Alert! 7 Baby Names Inspired by Celebrities' Last Names
Instagram has quickly risen to the top of the social-media heap, and its current reign doesn't seem to have an end date. And while it certainly draws all sorts of users from all sorts of lifestyles, it's a fast favorite for moms. Maybe it's the visual way to share moments - a rare place where baby and kid photos are actually welcomed. Maybe it's the voyeuristic appeal, allowing moms to peek inside the lives of other moms (including celebrity moms!) in a more intimate way. Maybe it's the unique way to filter and store family memories. But like any social media hub, Instagram users tend to fall into specific categories. (Some of these categories will attract followers, others will drive them away.) And so I give you my unscientific list of the 7 types of moms you meet on Instagram… -By Michelle HortonRead More »from The 7 Types of Moms You Will Meet on Instagram
- Babble.com | Fashion – Wed, Nov 20, 2013 12:43 PM EST'Tis the season for being in the kitchen baking up all kinds of goodies! And since we put time and money into our holiday outfits, I thought it was fitting to find some super cute aprons that won't frump up your party dresses while you prepare delicious treats. While searching for the perfect ones, I was amazed at how far aprons have come - these aren't your average granny aprons! In fact, if it was appropriate, we might be tempted to wear just the apron (okay, I'm mostly kidding!). Check out these super adorable aprons to keep your holiday outfits stylish!
-By Abi Porter Read More »from Kiss the Cook! 7 Holiday Aprons to Keep You Chic in the Kitchen
- Babble.com | Love + Sex – Wed, Nov 20, 2013 12:43 PM EST
Intrigued, I clicked on it and read more.
Champagne, professional styling, hair and make-up, all with your best girlfriends in a luxury hotel suite…where you can be pampered, styled, and sip some bubbly all for the BEST Christmas present your man will ever receive - the gift of YOU!!
So, apparently this is a thing.
It's called "boudoir" photography, and it's all about creating a safe and comfortable environment for a woman to get her sexy on, on camera, all for her man. And although there is some seriously bedroom-worthy boudoir photographers out there, (made the mistake of Googling that - please be certain there are no teenage boys in the house if you do the same) for the most part, boudoir photography can be just a fun experience and make a unique gift for your man.
For instance, photographer JacquelynRead More »from Sexy Boudoir Photo Shoots for Your Man — the Best Holiday Gift Ever?
- Babble.com | At Home – Wed, Nov 20, 2013 12:43 PM ESTSending out holiday cards this year? You can stamp them up with Harry Potter. Yes. Whether you're getting in touch for Thanksgivukkah, Christmas or New Years, the post office has released four Harry Potter-themed stamps - taken from stills from the movie - for your November-December sending needs. I don't know about you, but I'm already getting my owl prepared; there are some fancy-stamped cards to mail. There have been many stamps over the years commemorating iconic films, television shows, and music. Let's take a look at some of the best.
-By Laurie White
MORE ON BABBLERead More »from Harry Potter Stamps Are Here! Plus 7 More of Our Favorite Pop Culture-Inspired Stamps
15 stylish Harry Potter clothes for grown-ups
10 horrible bosses from TV and the movies (and you thought YOURS was bad!?)
The 12 bravest women in pop culture - Katniss, Hermoine, and more!
- Babble.com | Beauty – Wed, Nov 20, 2013 12:40 PM ESTIt's party season and time for party hair! And nothing says party hair like pretty, shiny, sparkly hair baubles glimmering from your locks. Whether sprinkled throughout a fancy updo, holding one side up, or surrounding the crown of your head, pretty hair accessories are the finishing touch to your party look for this holiday season. I've rounded up 25 of my favorite hair accessories from glittered headbands, to lacy bows, brooches, and barrettes, to crystal clustered clips, crowns, and combs from my favorite online boutiques, as well as a few DIYs you can make for a fraction of the cost. Flip though the photos below to shop and/or get inspired to make your own! - By Maegan Tintari Read More »from Add a Little Sparkle! 7 Must-Have Hair Accessories for Holiday Party Season
- Babble.com | Shine Food – Wed, Nov 20, 2013 12:39 PM ESTEver eat pumpkin pie for dinner? Me too! If you love pumpkin pie enough to eat it as your meal…or even if you just like pumpkin pie enough to take a nibble every November, these 7 delicious recipes will have you jumping for joy! Grab a bowl, mix 'em up, and enjoy pumpkin in 7 fabulously clever ways. Tarts! Pies! And everything in between! We've got them all rounded up for you, 7 recipes right in a row. Enjoy! - By Brooke McLay Read More »from Gourd as New: 7 Unique Twists on the Classic Pumpkin Pie