While the nail polish category generated $814 million during the first 11 months of the year (an impressive stat, for sure), a new report from Ad Age says sales have certainly slowed. Coty, the parent company for such brands as OPI and Sally Hansen, reports a 4 percent decline in sales in the third quarter of 2013, while L'Oreal's sales have dropped 10 percent, and Revlon's dipped a whopping 13 percent in October and November. The decrease seems particularly surprising givenRead More »from Is Nail Polish Losing Its Luster? Sales Dip as Nail-Art Trend Fades
Blog Posts by Joanna Douglas, Senior Fashion and Beauty Editor
- Joanna Douglas, Senior Fashion and Beauty Editor | Beauty – Tue, Dec 17, 2013 4:10 PM ESTsales have broken all records in recent years, thanks in part to obsessive nail-art enthusiasts constantly updating their manicures with trendy colors and elaborate hand-painted designs. A pretty Nail polishbottle of lacquer became the new instant pick-me-up, toppling lipstick (Leonard Lauder of Estée Lauder coined the term "lipstick index" to make sense of the increase in sales during a period of economic decline) as the most sought-after beauty product on the market, but is the trend officially on its way out?
- Joanna Douglas, Senior Fashion and Beauty Editor | Holiday Gift Guide – Thu, Dec 5, 2013 6:11 PM ESTThe latest shopping trend: sharing all your new purchases with strangers. Photo via TwitterThe Internet has become all about oversharing, even more so this holiday season with the insane amount of Black Friday shopping hauls on YouTube. A network of everyday women — who have garnered a following of like-minded style lovers on the web — have posted at least 800,000 videos, and more than 6,000 were uploaded over Thanksgiving weekend alone. Whether hitting up big chain stores or their local strip malls, thousands flocked to YouTube to flaunt their discounted bounties for viewers. Shoppers spent an estimated $57 billion over the holiday weekend, so clearly there was a lot of merchandise to present.
More on Yahoo Shine: Beauty Gurus How-to: Becoming a YouTube Star
Why exactly are ladies rushing to show off their purchases to the world? For some it may be a form of public bragging or the mere thrill of landing great bargains, while others may want to educate fellow consumers about products. Some of the ultrapopular video bloggers, or vloggers, are actually getting paid big bucksRead More »from Shoppers Flaunt New Purchases to World in Bizarre Haul Videos
- Joanna Douglas, Senior Fashion and Beauty Editor | Fashion – Thu, Dec 5, 2013 3:22 PM EST
As 2013 comes to a close and we reflect on the most and least stylish people of the year, one pop star immediately comes to mind: Miley Cyrus. Her MTV Video Music Awards performance was the topic of discussion for weeks, largely due to the skimpy, nude latex bra top and hot pants she wore under a furry teddy bear costume. Her revealing ensemble-accessorized with twin hair buns, a thrusting tongue, and endless twerking-was unforgettable, thanks to endless internet memes and GIFs, SNL skits, and a parade of parody Halloween costumes.
Unsurprisingly, Time magazine has named Cyrus the worst dressed celebrity of the year. But they also named her as one of the best dressed stars-number six on their top 10 list-thanks to her "schizophrenic fashion" choices. Upon further review, her chameleon-like wardrobe has been all over the place. From sexy leather pieces, to prim Chanel dresses, to sheer mesh dresses with pasties, it's clear that Cyrus was desperate to make a fashion impact this year,Read More »from The Miley Cyrus Style Conundrum: Best or Worst Dressed?
When it comes to holiday attire, there's a fine line between cute and creepy. No matter where you stand on the ugly holiday sweater debate (totally awesome or painfully bad), there are many other garments and accessories that simply should not be worn in public. Go big or go home with reindeer antlers at a party. Fantastic! But don't dress up like a Christmas tree for a day at the office. Here are 14 reasons why you should leave the holiday décor for your home and not your body. (Hint: Your hair should not look like Rudolph.) By Joanna Douglas, Yahoo Shine Senior Fashion and Beauty EditorRead More »from Ugly, Tacky Holiday Fashion to Avoid at All Costs
- Joanna Douglas, Senior Fashion and Beauty Editor | Fashion – Wed, Nov 27, 2013 2:20 PM ESTReady, set, go! Photo by Getty ImagesThe holiday shopping season is here! So, after you fill up on a tasty Thanksgiving feast with family and friends, it's game time. We've rounded up all the best Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals in-store and online. An advance apology to your credit cards... Some of these sales have already begun, so make your list, check it twice, and buy everything you want at a great discount, plus nab some extra goodies for free! For complete store hours, click here. Have the scoop on a deal we missed? Share the love in the comments.
3.1 Phillip Lim
40% off select pre-fall and fall items on Black Friday.
Adorn by Sarah Lewis
30% off everything with code CYBERMONDAY on Cyber Monday.
20% off sale denim Black Friday through December 1.
50% off everything, plus free shipping on orders $75 or more through November 26.
40% off the entire site from Black Friday to Cyber Monday, plus special discounts.
Alba BotanicaRead More »from Ultimate Guide to Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals
All products are buy-one-get-two-free with
- Joanna Douglas, Senior Fashion and Beauty Editor | Fashion – Tue, Nov 26, 2013 3:01 PM ESTPatagonia is asking customers NOT to shop on Black FridayThis year, Black Friday has evolved into Black Thursday, with big retailers like Walmart, Target, Macy's, Kohl's, and J.C. Penney opening their doors to rabid shoppers on Thanksgiving day. According to the National Retail Federation, 140 million people will be shopping over the holiday weekend. While most businesses are busy drumming up techniques to lure shoppers and get them to spend more money, Patagonia has taken a vastly different approach.
More on Yahoo Shine: 4 Unexpected Items Yield Big Savings on Black Friday
The outdoor apparel company has launched an anti-Black Friday campaign, urging customers not to buy new items and, instead, to repair their old Patagonia gear instead. The retailer launched a partnership with iFixit to provide repair guides for every type of Patagonia gear, from jackets to clothing to luggage. This initiative is also coming to life in 15 of its retail locations in cities around the country. Starting at 4 p.m. on Black Friday customers can bring old,Read More »from Patagonia Tells Customers Not to Shop on Black Friday. Wait, What?
- Joanna Douglas, Senior Fashion and Beauty Editor | Fashion – Fri, Nov 22, 2013 4:06 PM EST
Looks like Michelle Obama is not the only trendsetter in the White House. Twelve-year-old Sasha Obama sat court side for a basketball game with the fam on Sunday, and the interweb was abuzz about her adorable unicorn sweater. The ASOS top was originally $62.29 and marked down to $18.69, so when word got out about where to buy Sasha's covetable sweater it immediately sold out. After all the hype, ASOS has said they will be restocking the popular item on December 2-just in time for the holidays. This isn't the first time Malia has caused ladies to flock to stores to copy her wardrobe (remember those gorgeous Kate Spade and J.Crew coats Malia and sister Sasha wore to President Obama's inauguration?), but this unicorn sweater is irresistible and has certainly put Sasha on the map as a stylish youngster to watch. Can't wait till the ASOS version returns? Here's some awesome unicorn gear to tide you over. By Joanna Douglas, Yahoo Shine Senior Fashion and Beauty EditorRead More »from Sasha Obama Confirms What We Already Knew: Unicorn Sweaters Are Rad
- Holiday party season is almost here, and we're yearning for dresses with wow factor. Our favorite silhouette? The fit-and-flare skater dress. They slim the waist, enhance your curves, and swish around in a flirty way. Let's admit it: those Olympic skating costumes may have a few too many sparkles, but they are incredibly flattering and one of our favorite things to watch during the winter games. These top five dresses will get noticed through the holidays and beyond. By Joanna Douglas, Yahoo Shine Senior Fashion and Beauty Editor
Previous favorites: Top 5 Cable-Knit Sweaters, Top 5 D'Orsay Flats, Top 5 'Geek Chic' Glasses, Top 5 Baseball Hats, Top 5 Matching Separates, Top 5 Surf Sprays, Top 5 One-piece Swimsuits, Top 5 Sunscreens, Top 5 Flip-Flops, Top 5 Crossbody Bags, Top 5 Dry Shampoos, Top 5 Little White Dresses, Top 5 Body Lotions, Top 5 Stylish Sneakers, Top 5 Denim Dresses, Top 5 Spring Nail Colors, Top 5 Metallic Sandals, Top 5 Mascaras, Top 5 Umbrellas, Top 5 MirroredRead More »from Top 5 Skater Dresses
- Joanna Douglas, Senior Fashion and Beauty Editor | Fashion – Wed, Nov 20, 2013 12:55 PM ESThas become known for her fantastic, Michelle Obamaunique sense of style. Whether it's an affordable dress from Target or a stunning Jason Wu gown, the first lady's sartorial choices are typically lovely and well-suited for her body type and personality. That said, there is one item she wishes she'd never worn in public: shorts.
More on Yahoo Shine: Michelle Obama's Recycled Outfits
On Tuesday, Obama was a guest on BET's "106 & Park" and an audience member asked her about her biggest fashion regret. "I am kind of always happy with what I'm wearing, I think," she said. "Sometimes I forget I'm the first lady and I'm running around in shorts. I know the first time we went on a family vacation, I had shorts on getting off of Air Force One and that created a huge stink because people were like, 'She's wearing shorts getting off of Air Force One!' And I thought, 'What? We're on vacation!' It was hot!" She added, "So I've avoided shorts getting off of Air Force One."
More on Yahoo: Hugo BossRead More »from Michelle Obama's Biggest Fashion Regret? Wearing Shorts
- Joanna Douglas, Senior Fashion and Beauty Editor | Fashion – Tue, Nov 19, 2013 1:47 PM EST, Duchess of Cambridge, may have stepped out of the public eye a bit since the Kate Middletonbirth of son Prince George in July, but when she does resurface, the world remains fascinated with her ... and her attire. The style icon is known for her extreme brand loyalty (Middleton's faves include British labels like Alexander McQueen, Jenny Packham, Reiss, Issa, and L.K. Bennett) and for frequently shopping her closet. Sure, many women rewear their favorite pieces, but not many women who are members of a royal family and have access to the greatest designers in the world. It's refreshing to see the Duchess reach for the same simple frock again and again, but it's downright surprising when she also pairs it with a few of the same go-to accessories.
More on Yahoo Shine: Kate Middleton's New BFF Provides Edgy Fashion Influence
On Tuesday, Middleton attended an event in London for Only Connect, a crime prevention charity, and opted for the identical head-to-toe look she wore back in FebruaryRead More »from Kate Middleton Dress Déjà Vu: Her Orla Kiely Frock Is Back