Festive Halloween IdeasWe totally get it: You either don't have time or simply don't want to wear costumes every year on Oct. 31, but there's no need to be a party-pooper, too. We compiled eight different ways you can look festive without having to transform yourself into the all-too-typical sleazy professional or ironic pun outfits.
1. Superhero t-shirt: Thanks to pop culture, superheroes are more popular then ever which has resulted in countless t-shirt options. Throw on your favorite superhero tee with whatever makes you comfortable (we vote jeans), and you've got yourself a cute costumes-que outfit.
2. Cat-eye eyeliner: This makeup look is trendy-yet-bold option, allowing you leeway for it to be considered festive. Go as dramatic or as safe as you want to give yourself a stand-out look for the evening.
3. Bring out the ugly holiday sweater: We all know that ugly sweater parties are just huge around Christmas time, so why not throw it on a few months early? Go ahead - tap into your inner Grandma and
Blog Posts by Marie Claire
- Marie Claire | Fashion – Mon, Oct 21, 2013 3:15 PM EDT
Festive Halloween IdeasWe totally get it: You either don't have time or simply don't want to wear costumes every year on Oct. 31, but there's no need to be a party-pooper, too. We compiled eight different ways you can look festive without having to transform yourself into the all-too-typical sleazy professional or ironic pun outfits.Read More »from Not Dressing Up for Halloween? 8 Other Ways to Look Festive
Your next job will likely come by way of a contact, so you better start mingling. Here, former banking exec Sallie Krawcheck, who owns 85 Broads, a global network for professional women, reveals how to schmooze your way to the top.
1. Think broad, not deep.
"Women tend to fall into the 'best friend syndrome.' We invest deeply in our friendships and conflate casual relationships with shallow ones. But your acquaintances play a crucial role in your career. Someone you see only twice a year may know about opportunities you haven't heard about."
2. Cast a wider net.
Networking within your profession won't take you very far. "You're aiming for reach-friends, classmates, neighbors. Plant a lot of seeds."
3. Don't make it all about you.Read More »from 7 Secrets of Power Networking
People approach career opportunities the way they do social ones: Nobody wants to hang out with, let alone help, someone who is overtly self-serving. "At the end of the day, what we're talking about is being sociable."
Fall Beauty Questions, Answered
Why should celebrities and models get to keep all the beauty gurus to themselves? Here, their go-to experts answer your questions.
Question 1: I am officially over my ombre hair. How can I fix it without cutting off too many inches? -Adina Benno, 31, Brooklyn, New York
The Expert: New York City hair colorist and salon owner Marie RobinsonRead More »from 5 Common Fall Beauty Questions and Answers
She says: There's no need to chop off your hair-or see a professional, in most cases. First, pick a semi- or demi-permanent dye in the same shade as your natural color. The dye should be the opposite tone of your ombre ends because you'll use it to neutralize the lightened section. For example, a dark brunette with warm chestnut ends would use a cool ash-brown. Pick a deposit-only formula (with low or no ammonia) like L'Oreal Healthy Look Creme Gloss, $9. Apply the dye on your lighter ends only. A minute before you're supposed to rinse, get in the shower, wet your hair to emulsify the dye, then rub it all over as if you're shampooing. After
There's a million and a half tips and ideas for the infamous first date (and even the second date), but why is the third date so often neglected? Learn how to make the best out of what is arguably the most important date of any early relationship.
1. Why do dudes often have a tendency of going M.I.A. after a third date? If you'd rather play it old school, don't call him, and let him come to you - if he likes you, he'll make sure he calls you! But if it's been too long, feel free to pick up the phone and (politely, please) demand his coordinates. Chances are, he's probably having an internal freakout, just like you are.
2. Don't doubt yourself. If at this point you've gone on three entertaining, comfortable dates, know that he's interested and have faith in the tried-and-tested process.
3. This is important: Don't count your chickens before they hatch. He is not your boyfriend yet, so do not act like it - withRead More »from Made it to the Third Date? Now What?
Edible Beauty Products
While you can't technically eat the beauty products below, you'll sure want a lick or two once you've had a whiff of their delicious ingredients. From cranberry to almonds, these smell so great you'll be wishing Thanksgiving dinner was right around the corner.
1. Bodycology Spiced Nourishing Pumpkin Body Cream, $3.99; bodycology.com
We're not sure who doesn't like spiced pumpkin (we love it in a latte!), so slathering one of our favorite fall scents seems perfectly logical. Plus, the enzymes from pumpkin will help to naturally exfoliate skin.
Related: 7 Bedtime Habits that are Ruining Your Sleep
2. June Jacobs Creamy Cranberry Cleanser, $38; junejacobs.com
Who knew that cranberries not only tasted good, they do wonders for your skin, too! This creamy cleanser uses the antioxidants from cranberry to soothe and clean skin.
3. Aubrey Almond Bliss Body Spritzer, $2.79; aubrey-organics.com
Spray it on your body, in your hair, or even on your clothes, this super yummyRead More »from Five Beauty Products You Can Eat?
Fall DatesHappy October! It's the most wonderful time of the year (sorry, December!), and with it comes an expanded amount of options to add to your dating repertoire. Think outside the pumpkin patch to woo your sweetie for something festive.
1. Hard Cider Tasting
Nothing says "autumn" quite like the spiked apple goodness of a glass of hard cider. Scour the area for a weekend afternoon tasting near you - bonus points if you're able to venture away from your metropolis home-base for mini-vacay
2. Apple Picking
The old-fashioned allure of heading out to the country to pick a bundle of fresh, ripe apples just never gets old. Dress in flannel, drive out to the countryside, and reap the benefits (i.e. an apple pie) later!
Related: 50 Cheap Date Ideas
3. Scary Movie Marathon
Cuddle up with your honey, prep a bowl of popcorn, and head to the couch for an evening filled with some of our all-time freaky favorites: Carrie, Poltergeist, and The Shining.
4. An Afternoon Hike
Stretch thoseRead More »from 6 Date Ideas for Fall that Won't Break the Bank
Must-ReadsDon't you just love that moment when you pick up a really good book, and know that you can be content for hours? We do too, which is why we've put together a list of the four books we can't stop reading right now.
1. The Asylum by Simon Doonan, $26; barneys.com
Simon Doonan is an iconic figure in the New York fashion world. He's not only incredibly funny, but has created some of the most amazing window displays in the history of Barneys, written several equally-as-funny books before this one, and even appeared on Gossip Girl. His latest book, The Ayslum, is full of hilarious tales of Doonan's experiences in the fashion industry, from a Michael Kors show where a ceiling collapsed on Suzy Menkes, to the time the basement at Barneys flooded, along with all of his props.
2. Man Repeller by Leandra Medine, $25; barneys.com
That's right ladies, Leandra Medine, author of the cult-loved blog, The Man Repeller, has penned a book. Based on Medine's experiences with certain outfits,Read More »from 4 Fun Fashion Books You Must Read
Considering the chop? Plenty of our favorite models and celebrities have turned to shorter locks (Coco Rocha, Karlie Kloss-even Beyoncé for a hot second!), and we've got four reasons why you should too.
According to Original & Mineral's creative director Janelle Chaplin, short hair is in, and long hair is out. Check out her four reasons for making the chop.
1. Dramatic changes are really on trend right now.
2. Short hair gives an instant fresh look. I'm a huge fan of blunt, one length hair (like the chop Karlie Kloss has). You can rock one length hair at any length, even just below shoulder.
Related: Best Celebrity Hairstyles of All Time
3. To refresh your hair, eliminate old torched locks by cutting off dead, dry ends.
4. Your routine time will be cut in half. Not only does shorter hair dry quicker, it is also easier to style.
And talking about style, Chaplin also has some tips on how to style your locks once you've made the cut. She recommends starting with aRead More »from 4 Reasons Why You Should Cut Your Hair
AirplaneEven dressed up plane food remains just that-plane food. The solution to in-flight cravings? Pack your own meal. With limited drink service, crackdowns on what and how much you can bring on flights, it is more difficult than ever to prepare your own meals and snacks. Difficult, but not impossible. Here are snack ideas for your next flight. They're inexpensive and don't require massive prep-time (you're better off spending the time packing), and won't raise any alarms at security checkpoints. Just remember that each item needs to be in a snack-size (not gallon), slide-close (not fold-over) sandwich bag, or you'll find your well-planned snacks headed for the TSA trash bin.Read More »from The 3 Best DIY Airplane Foods
1. Pita Pocket
More of a meal than a snack, pack a whole wheat pita with lettuce, turkey, and cheese. Skip the onions, to save your seatmate from your breath; no avocados, which quickly brown; no mayo, to save you a trip to the emergency room after it's been at room temp for awhile; no tomatoes, which make the bread
1. Listen to Music
It's no surprise why our brain's pleasure centers light up when we hear music. (The same brain structures that are active during euphoria-inducing stimuli like sex and drugs are clicked on with a good Glee mashup, too!) So, plug those headphones in and work along to your favorite jam.
It's fun, it's harmless (or, at least, it should be), and it's effective. Nothing gets the heart pumping and the brain working like a little flirtin' action, just don't do anything stupid. Keep it to conversation - thinking on your feet, cracking jokes, and intellectual banter will energize you plenty.
3. Take a Disco Nap
This one's tricky. If you don't keep it short - five to 10 minutes, max - the power nap could have the opposite effect. So, set a smoothing-but-stern alarm and jump up from your bed, couch, or chair (the most recommended location for your mini-snooze sesh) when time's up.
4. Eat aRead More »from 7 Ways to Get Your Energy Up in 5 Minutes