Marie Claire dating blogger Maura Kelly tackles the question of which items of clothing make men start foaming at the mouth (or chasing you around the dinner table).
Photo Credit: C. Steinhausen/Getty Image1. A SIMPLE APRON
When asked, guys weren't much help in explaining what it is about aprons, exactly, that makes them so hot. But here's a guess: An apron frames the body in an unusal way, inviting the eye to first one breast, then the other--by vertically bisecting them both--and then drawing the gaze to the thigh, falling at the mid-way point between the waist and the knees as it does. At the same time, a well-tied apron also accentuates the hips--and leaves the derriere wide open, completely unprotected.
More simply put: an apron is an invitation to think about what a girl would look like if she wasn't wearing anything else!
2. A GOOD WELL-FITTING TRENCH COAT
Men seem to associate trench coats with flashers; they see you in, say, a tight-fitting brown leather number that ties at the waist and they wonder if there's
Blog Posts by Marie Claire
Marie Claire dating blogger Maura Kelly tackles the question of which items of clothing make men start foaming at the mouth (or chasing you around the dinner table).Read More »from 5 Very Sexy Pieces of Clothing
photo credit: Valentin Casarsa/iStockMarie Claire's male dating blogger Rich Santos reveals what men really think about sex, dating, relationships, and you.Read More »from 9 Secrets Men Keep
1. We hate when you try too hard to be one of the guys. It's pretty lame that my buddies and I invent words and languages and then giggle over them like schoolchildren. But what's even lamer: when some outsider tries to use the language, without the ability to contribute. That's what one of my old girlfriends did. It got to the point where I bristled every time I heard her speak one of our made-up words.
2. We do think you're crazy sometimes, but only because it makes things easier for us. Once I accepted that women were "crazy" (many older guys had insisted they were for years), it seemed to take a huge load of pressure off me. When I just throw it all out the window and dismiss it as "crazy," it makes it easier to deal.
3. Heavy makeup is a turnoff. I've always been the type of guy who appreciates a natural look as it is, and when a girl does her makeup well, the
1. BODY INSECURITIESRead More »from 3 Ways You're Ruining Your Relationship
You know you have this problem if...
You cringe and cover up when your partner sees you naked.
Compliments make you nervous and defensive.
Thinking about his positive attributes makes you wonder what he's doing with you.
PHOTO CREDIT: G STUDIO/ISTOCK IMAGESWhy is it a problem?
When we are ashamed of our bodies, we "withdraw sexually" and have trouble "being playful and free," says relationship expert Dr. Alice Pisciotto.
You know you have this problem if...
Your partner complains you're always blowing up at him - whether he forgot to pick up the dry-cleaning or threw out the manuscript for the novel you've secretly been working on.
Why is it a problem?
You may be using these explosions as a substitute for intimacy, says Pisciotto. "If you say, 'I love you,' who knows how he's going to react?" You may get a grunt, you may get a kiss, you may get some bad news. "But if you scream at him, you know he's going to scream back." Excessive anger may be a sign that you're insecure about his
1. To fit into your skinny jeans from high school--the year that you had mono.Read More »from 7 Worst New Year's Resolutions
PHOTO CREDIT: NINA VACLAVOVA/ISTOCK IMAGES
2. To save money by selling any part of your body, moving back in with your parents, or forgoing the morning latte that keeps you sane.
3. To develop a daily exercise routine that consists solely of striptease aerobics, pole-dance cardio, and lapdance bootcamp.
4. To get in touch with your spiritual side by pulling a Katie Holmes and joining the Church of Scientology.
5. To reconnect with old friends by sleeping with all of your male buddies.
6. To spice up your dating life and save cash at the same time by canceling your health insurance and dating your therapist.
7. To sing as if no one's listening and dance like no one's watching.
Have you ever had a new year's resolution backfire? Click Here for More Bad Resolutions.
Follow Marie Claire on Twitter: Twitter.com/MarieClaire
MORE STORIES FROM MARIE CLAIRE
27 Worst Dates Ever
20 Secrets All Guys Keep
9 Signs He's Cheating
Weird Ways You Are Ruining Your
What do you get when you mix work-weary employees with gratis booze and garland?Read More »from 10 office holiday party mistakes
Below, some office-party pitfalls you should definitely sidestep . . . lest morning-after regret is on your wish list this year. Don't . . .
photo credit: Philip Gay1. Enforce the mistletoe rule: Make out with your boss, intern, or the significant other of either.
2. Interpret "dress festive" to include anything that could be worn as lingerie.
3. Split a bottle of anything with your assistant.
4. Wear reindeer ears and antlers.
5. Shovel shrimp from the buffet table onto your plate like it's your last meal.
6. Hit on a coworker's spouse.
7. Hit on a coworker's very mature-looking teenage son.
8. Dance on anything other than the floor.
9. Sit on Santa's (a.k.a. Eduardo from IT) lap.
10. Drink too much and share how you really feel about everyone in your department.
Keep Reading for More Office Party Faux Pas.
More From Marie Claire
Weird Ways You Are Ruining Your Relationship
Horrifying Celebrity Hairstyles
- Marie Claire | Work + Money – Tue, Dec 15, 2009 1:00 AM EST
Photo Credit: Sean Locke/iStockBe Realistic Don't declare a permanent embargo on carbs when you wake up on January 1st. The quickest way to dropping your diet is to give yourself crazy limitations, i.e. "I will start the day with two hours of pilates and a spin class, and subsist on nothing but grapes and rice cakes from now on." Pick one habit to break at a time--like mindless grazing or throwing back sodas instead of water.Read More »from 7 Ways to Kickstart Your Resolution to Get in Shape
Fix Your Mistakes
Before you fix your diet or fitness routine, you first have to figure out where you went wrong in the past. Track your daily calorie intake and exercise through a site like fitday.com for a clear picture of how many calories you're taking in and how many you're burning on a daily basis. You may find that your morning jogs are too short to make up for the croissant you have for breakfast, or that you can drop pounds if you cut back on your weekend alcohol intake.
Do What You Love
Find a workout you love. If you've been trying to embrace running for years but loathe every
Follow these long-lasting makeup tips to achieve a flawless face that will survive your busy day!Read More »from 4 Secrets of Flawless Makeup
PHOTO CREDIT: IMAGE SOURCE PHOTOGRAPHY/VEER.COM1. Get Gorgeous Lashes All Day.
Heat up an eyelash curler with a blow dryer, then (carefully!) crimp your lashes twice: once in the middle, once near the tips.
2. Layer Makeup to Make it Last for Hours.
Layering is the key to lasting makeup from foundation to blush. The most important thing when applying layers is to have a light touch. This keeps your look fresh and natural.
3. Max Out Your Mascara
Add volume to your lashes by dipping a shadow brush in loose translucent powder, closing one eye at a time, and dusting the tops of your lashes. Mascara applied over power last longer.
4. Keep a Summer Glow Year Round
Before Bronzing or self-tanning, always smooth skin by exfoliating and remember to shave your legs, even if you're blonde - peach-colored fuzz? No Thanks!
Want more Long Lasting Makeup Tips? Keep Reading...
More From Marie Claire
11 Best Hair Secrets!
Beauty Products You Can't
Considering the sex scandal that just rocked the set of Letterman Marie Claire curious to see which host American women would most like to, ah, intern for. A few day's ago we created a poll, Which Late-Night Talk Show Would You Sleep With? We picked the most popular, the funniest and the prettiest late night has to offer (Hello Jimmy Fallon!), posted the poll on MarieClaire.com and went on with our day.
A few days later, we checked the poll's progress and were a little shock to find that not only was there a front runner, but host Craig Ferguson had captured more than half of the votes. By Monday he had taken 67%, with Jimmy Fallon trailing in second with only 11%.
Sure Ferguson's attractive, he's got some great one-liners and that accent doesn't hurt, but we didn't expect him to eliminate the competition quite so brutally... he even mentioned it on his how last night!
As of today Ferguson had held his lead steady, maintaining his 67% with ease while Fallon, Jon StewartRead More »from Craig Ferguson Feels Your Love
One day Jennifer Wilkov was a successful financial planner with a designer wardrobe and a cozy apartment on a tree-lined block. The next, she was an inmate in one of New York's most violent prisons.Read More »from One Woman's Survival Story in Jail
As told to Abigail Pesta
I'm rolling up to Rikers Island, a notoriously violent prison in New York City, on a bus with about a dozen other women. My wrist is handcuffed to a lifelong drug addict whose stomach is distended from fibroids, she tells me. One of the ladies clearly hasn't bathed for weeks, and the smell is unbearable.
Photo Credit: Melessa Anne PinneySimply boarding this bus was a feat in itself. If you think it sounds challenging to round up a group of hyperactive third-graders for a field trip, you should've seen the guards trying to get a bunch of loud-mouthed, drugged-out, furious female convicts to shut up, stand in line, and get on the bus.
A plain, redbrick building looms before me. I'm about to become a prisoner in a massive penitentiary, and I feel an overwhelming sense of dread. I'm surrounded by
On December 4th, Italian courts found Amanda Knox guilty of murdering her roommate Meredith, a British exchange student from Leeds University. Prosecution relied heavily on DNA evidence found on the murder weapon, as well as portraying Knox as a "little-she-devil" capable of killing. The defense will appeal the 26 year sentence and experts anticipate it could be years before a final verdict is reached.
Amanda's Mom Edda Mellas Photo Credit: Simone DonatiIt wasn't the 21st birthday party Amanda Knox's family had planned for her - a barbecue at home in Seattle, with gifts like rock-climbing and camping gear. Instead, when Amanda's mother, Edda Mellas, wished her daughter a happy birthday, it was 6000 miles away, in a silent, sun-seared Italian prison.
Amanda's Italian boyfriend, Raffaele Sollecito, 24, sent her flowers for the occasion; he'd called the florist from his own prison, an hour south. The bouquet, which Amanda was allowed to glance at before it was whisked away, was made up of white nasturtiums, symbolizing "victory in Read More »from Amanda Knox: Italian Murder Mystery