Too many vitamins can be toxicby Robin Miller, for Sharecare
Many times in life we get the idea that if a little bit of something is good, then more is certainly better. That, however, is not always the case. Let's look at a couple of examples having to do with how we take care of ourselves.
Vitamins make many of us feel better. They can be good for us. But taking too much can have negative repercussions.
Many people take vitamin A, for example, because it can be good for the skin. However, if you take more than 5,000 IUs a day it can be toxic to the liver and cause serious health problems.
Vitamin D helps with bone density and can also boost heart health and the immune system. It's generally safe in a dose of 1,000 IUs daily. Take more than that and it can be toxic to the liver and cause dizziness and all sorts of problems.
Vitamin E can cause excessive bleeding if taken in high doses. Vitamin K in large doses doesn'tRead More »from Staying Healthy: When Less is More