Courtesy of FairJackie Lebowitz, BRIDES
It's no longer girls on one side, guys on the other: Gender-bending has officially come to the wedding party. Kate Moss's fiancé, rocker Jamie Hince, has asked bandmate Alison Mosshart to be his "best man."
Maybe you have a brother you'd like to be on your side of the altar, or your fiance's best female friend is the perfect candidate for best man. Whatever the reason, we're seeing couples around the nation getting creative with their bridal parties-Man of Honor, Best (Wo)man, Bridesmen, Groomswomen-and we like it! See what our facebook readers are doing, and then join the conversation at facebook.com/brides.
Q: Kate Moss's rocker fiancé has asked a woman to be his "best man" in the wedding. How do you feel about a best (wo)man?
"I think it is a great idea. When I get married I'm going to have my best mate (male) as my bridesman, although he will not be wearing a dress!"
"My brother is going to be my man of honor in my wedding next
Blog Posts by BRIDES
Courtesy of FairJackie Lebowitz, BRIDESRead More »from Kate Moss's FiancÃ© Picks a (Female) Best Man
- BRIDES | Love + Sex – Wed, May 25, 2011 5:45 PM EDT
Courtesy of Suzanne Hanover/Universal Pictures BRIDES MagazineRead More »from Tips for Being a Bride and Bridesmaid from the Cast of Bridesmaids
We asked the stars of Judd Apatow's new flick to share what they learned while filming. Want more? Find bonus tips from Melissa McCarthy.
5 Tips on Being a Bridesmaid, by Bridesmaid's Star Ellie Kemper
1) Do not offer any input on the bridesmaids' dresses unless you are asked. And if you are asked, anything that the bride wants is what you want. Got it? It's just one day-and besides, in certain light, a peach-chartreuse combo is gorgeous.
Related: 10 Shocking Secrets of the First Year of Marriage
2) Be sure you look good on the big day-but not too good. I'm not kidding. You have to put in the time and effort for the wedding photos, but you should not look better than the bride, babe! It's her day.
3) If you start to get the feeling that your bride might be asking you to go a tad beyond the call of duty, be really bad at those tasks. I swear, she won't ask you to do them anymore. Use this trick sparingly. You do have to do some work, slacker.
4) Do not use the
Dan Saelinger/BRIDESLauren A. Greene, BRIDES magazineRead More »from 10 (Not-So-Shocking) Secrets About Husbands
In case you haven't come across these already during your engagement period, BRIDES magazine has the top 10 traits your husband might start exhibiting after the ring. How many of them apply to your guy?
1. Multitasking is a foreign word to them. If they just change the kitty litter, they need a beer, then a nap.
Related: 10 Shocking Secrets of the First Year of Marriage
2. Their idea of cleaning the house involves wiping their feet on the doormat.
3. They don't get why you need to talk on the phone for so long with your mom/sister/best friend/all of the above. Especially since you did it last night, too.
4. They love gossip just as much as you do. Two words: Charlie Sheen.
5. Their hearing is perfectly fine. Their listening skills? Not so much.
6. They will never get excited about the new shower curtain. Unless you're behind it, naked.
See Also: 10 Secrets Only Wedding Planners Know
7. When they take out the trash, they need to announce it.
Photo: Fairchild Archive (Kate Hudson); courtesy of designers (jewelry)By BRIDESRead More »from Get the Look: Kate Hudson's Engagement Ring
Kate Hudson may be the reigning queen of boho chic, but when she announced her engagement to Muse rocker Matthew Bellamy on the Today show, she showed off a ring that was more Park Avenue than Penny Lane. The more "traditional" nine-carat stunner features a platinum-set, emerald-cut diamond with tapered baguettes-could this mean the actress will start to embrace a more classic, sophisticated style in general? We can't really see her in a cashmere twin-set (or a Duchess of Cambridge-esque wedding gown for that matter-especially with a growing baby bump!), but anything's possible (Reese Witherspoon wore a frilly pink ballgown!). To capture Kate's elegant look, try one of these lovely options featuring emerald-cut diamonds.-Leigh Bond
From left: Platinum with emerald-cut diamond and tapered baguettes, $5,528, Iced Orchid; platinum with three-stone, emerald-cut diamond, $516,700, Jacob & Co.; platinum with emerald-cut diamonds and micropavé halo- and channel-set shank, $3,309,
- BRIDES | Work + Money – Tue, May 10, 2011 9:41 PM EDT
Courtesy of Suzanne Hanover/Universal PicturesYolanda Crous, BRIDESRead More »from 5 Tips on Being the Best Bridesmaid From Melissa McCarthy of "Bridesmaids"
A few reasons we can't wait for the movie Bridesmaids to come out: Judd Apatow produced it, Kristen Wiig cowrote it, and the mostly female cast (Melissa McCarthy, Ellie Kemper, Rose Byrne, Wendi McLendon-Covey, Maya Rudolph, Kristen Wiig ) is hilarious. It's also supersmart-witness McCarthy's savvy tips for being a bridesmaid, below.
1. Remind the bride that the wedding is about the vows. Especially when her wedding planner tells her it's about linen colors, place-card fonts, and choosing the perfect moment to release the doves.
2. Bachelorette parties should be really, really fun, not really, really trashy.
3. Smile, and wear whatever bridesmaids' dress she picks out.
4. Take some of her to-do list off her hands. Pick one or two items, and handle them from start to finish.
5. Know her favorite cocktail-and know when she needs it.
Want more? Check out the May issue of BRIDES for other wedding pointers from Ellie Kemper and Maya Rudolph.
More from BRIDES:
Beach? Ballroom? Whatever your venue, there's a perfect dress at a can't-believe-it price.
Philip B. Crook, BRIDES
As the editors of Brides.com, we may not have bottomless bank accounts or fabulous royal connections, but we do have active imaginations-and a sense of humor. You're welcome, Kate & Will!
What would you give the royal couple if money were no object?
- BRIDES | Love + Sex – Thu, Apr 28, 2011 4:10 PM EDT
- BRIDES | Love + Sex – Thu, Apr 28, 2011 3:31 AM EDT