Source: Muffin Tops and Other Cautionary Tales: We've Got Your Style Fix
You could chalk it up to a case of "when ill-fitting clothes happen to good people," but whatever the underlying cause of our most dreaded style dilemmas may be, we're putting a (full) stop to them now. Here's the thing: we, like many, are not exempt from the perils of muffin top, underarm fat, back fat, "mom butt" - you get the picture. But, rather than accentuate our not-so-sexy features, we're looking to disguise, conceal, and banish those unflattering bits with some strategic styling (and, of course, a healthy lifestyle). It's all about emphasizing what we love most about our bodies - and, OK, looking insanely good in an LBD à la Brigitte Bardot - so no more fashion snafus from here on out.
The problem: Muffin top
Styling solution: Friends don't let friends fall victim to the muffin-top look. So, we're telling you now: size up. Chances are, you think that by increasing your jean size, you'll lose that
Blog Posts by POPSUGAR Fashion
- POPSUGAR Fashion | Fashion – Thu, Sep 27, 2012 4:51 PM EDT
Source: Muffin Tops and Other Cautionary Tales: We've Got Your Style FixRead More »from Muffin Tops and Other Cautionary Tales: We've Got Your Style Fix
- POPSUGAR Fashion | Fashion – Wed, Sep 26, 2012 7:45 PM EDT
FabSugarSource: The Prettiest Sweater + Blouse Color Combos For Fall
Sometimes it's not so much about reinventing the styling wheel as it is about reinvigorating it. That said, we're looking to punch up the ladylike layers we already own - a classic blouse-and-sweater set, in this case - with this season's prettiest Fall color combos. Trust us: it's a sweet and polished pairing that complements everything from a cozy tweed miniskirt to a slicked-up brocade trouser. And, to help you put your color-wheel cravings and cold-weather layering to work, we've styled up 10 of our favorite combos as a jumping-off point.
Take a peek below to check out our top 10 color combos worth experimenting with this Fall, then shop our editor-curated picks here!
- Saffron Yellow + Emerald Green
- Dark Red + Nude
- Olive Green + Burgundy
- Pink + Red
- Navy Blue + Light Blue
- Plum + Red
- Plum + Blue
- Cobalt Blue + Olive Green
- Midnight Blue + Marigold Yellow
- Heather Gray + Teal
Read More »from The Prettiest Sweater + Blouse Color Combos for Fall
- POPSUGAR Fashion | Fall Fashion – Wed, Sep 26, 2012 7:39 PM EDT
FabSugarSource: Bring Your Fall A-Game - 5 Ways to Rock the Varsity Jacket Right Now
If you've been keeping up with Fashion Week street style, then you already know: the varsity jacket is shaping up to be the season's topper of choice. That's right: fashion insiders and trendsetters are swapping blazers and leather jackets for a sportier twist on layering up - and you should too. The effect is a little nostalgic - cool in that awesome, old-school way (the same vibe we get from our favorite Converse) - and if you fear that it won't quite work with your wardrobe, we're here to set you straight. The letterman jacket is totally versatile, and we've got the five looks to prove it. Click on to see just how many ways there are to wear this season's newest staple. Shop our editor-curated looks here!
- Channeling the polished - albeit utterly cool - take on the jacket from some of our favorite Fashion Week street stylists, we turned to a slick, oxblood leather pencil to give the sporty piece a sleek
- POPSUGAR Fashion | Fashion – Thu, Sep 20, 2012 4:12 PM EDT
FabSugarSource: Fall Investment: One Gorgeous Phillip Lim Moto Jacket, 3 Ways to Wear It
From the expert tailoring to the perfect shade of forest green to the cool zipper detailing, we've found the perfect Fall coat in 3.1 Phillip Lim's Moto Cross Fleece Jacket ($895). No, it's not cheap, but the sheer versatility makes it worth the investment; pair it with a feminine lace dress and ankle boots for a transitional Fall look, with leather jeans and a tunic for layered perfection, or with slouchy black trousers and a silky button-down blouse for a chic work ensemble. The styling options are limitless, and to prove our point, here are three more ways to wear Phillip Lim's cozy-cool moto jacket. See and shop our editor-curated looks here.
- Date Night: Pair this tough jacket with a fiery red slipdress and gilded accessories for an effortlessly sultry date-night ensemble. We promise the green-and-red combo won't make you look like a Christmas tree.
- Weekend Stroll: We love the idea of
- POPSUGAR Fashion | Fashion – Thu, Sep 20, 2012 4:11 PM EDT
FabSugarSource: How to Wear Fall's Gorgeous Fit-and-Flare Silhouette
Burberry, Marchesa, and Stella McCartney showed fit-and-flare silhouettes all over their Fall runways and we can't wait to try out the silhouette for ourselves. Whether you prefer an all-out ladylike stance à la Marchesa or Stella McCartney's sportier spirit, it's all about choosing the right fit-and-flare shape for your body. Make sure the "fitted" part of the skirt or dress isn't too tight across your hips or thighs (your skirt will ride up and walking will become a problem) and always make sure to pair heels with this look to elongate your figure. Read below for a few more style pointers, then shop our editors' picks here.
- Since fit-and-flare silhouettes veer on the feminine side of the style meter, temper the look with sleek pointy-toe pumps or patent ankle boots for a sleek Fall ensemble.
- Want an extra smooth and seamless look? Wear Spanx underneath more body-con silhouettes for an overall slimming effect.
- POPSUGAR Fashion | Fall Fashion – Thu, Sep 6, 2012 5:31 PM EDT
Source: Tap Into My So-Called Life's Grunge Appeal For a Funkier Fall RefreshRead More »from Tap into My So-Called Life's Grunge Appeal for a Funkier Fall Refresh
It's not our fault we can still recall with remarkable clarity the angst, awesomeness, and all-out grunge sensibility of cult show My So-Called Life - we blame it on its lead stars Claire Danes and Jordan Catalano, er, Jared Leto. And while the series only lasted for one epic season, its short-lived run continues to inspire our styling whimsy by way of its spot-on encapsulation of early '90s fashion. We're talking serious Kurt Cobain flannel, punk-inspired Doc Martens and Converse, vintage floral prints, and a whole lot of retro denim looks. On any given episode, you'd be guaranteed to spot Danes's character Angela Chase in a cool mix of layered patterns, jean overalls, and a knitted vest. It may not be an ensemble worth emulating to a T, but listen: the styling cues found within are perfect for a funkier Fall wardrobe refresh. We've culled the most important ones to note and outfitted the best ways to
- POPSUGAR Fashion | Fashion – Wed, Sep 5, 2012 7:07 PM EDT
Source: How to Pull Off Denim on Denim Like a Street-Style Pro
Thanks to some killer street style and the creative efforts of J.Crew and Madewell's styling teams (just check out Solange's Mix Well campaign), denim on denim doesn't carry the connotations it used to. In fact, the "Canadian tuxedo" has gotten a pretty chic makeover, as evidenced by this street-style crew, proving that with the right accessories and proportions, denim on denim is a total do. The key to making it all work - and avoiding any styling clichés or faux pas - is all below.
- You can pair similar shades of denim, but the safest way to avoid looking like you're wearing a giant denim jumpsuit is to pick varying jean hues. Look for a lighter chambray button-down to partner with a darker-wash denim bottom, for instance; or break up similar denim hues with an undershirt or tee underneath an open denim button-down on top.
- Proportions have a lot to do with how your denim-on-denim style will fare. Avoid going totally
- POPSUGAR Fashion | Fashion – Wed, Sep 5, 2012 7:03 PM EDT
FabSugarSource: 3 Ways to Wear Fall's Totally Chic (and Comfy) Loose Trousers
A new crop of loose-fitting trousers made their debut on the runways at Christopher Kane, Diane von Furstenberg, Mulberry, and more, rivaling the staple power of our skinny pants as Fall's must-have silhouette. Not quite convinced to adopt the roomier shape of a slouchy trouser? We're here to do the convincing - behold three ways to wear the new look and shake up your wardrobe. Not only does this style wear seamlessly from office to evening, but it's also entirely flattering on a variety of body types, with a higher rise and a wider leg that gives the illusion of longer, leaner stems. Click on for our three favorite ways to wear Fall's ultrachic and totally easy looser trousers.
- Dressed Down: Switch from faded denim into a pair of fresh, loose-fit trousers that are as comfy and easy to throw on as they are entirely chic - especially when they're styled up with a bit of a Parisian twist via Breton stripes, black
- POPSUGAR Fashion | Fashion – Wed, Aug 29, 2012 6:41 PM EDT
Source: The 8 Foolproof Fashion Week Survival Tips We Live (and Style) By
We've come to terms with the fact that for all of Fashion Week's excitement and glamour, it also demands long hours, little to no sleep, and an implicit expectation to look our best even when we're not exactly feeling fresh as a daisy. This is something you might not be able to glean just from a glance at Buro 24/7 editor Miroslava Duma (pictured), who tends to impress no matter the conditions, but we're convinced she's sticking to a strict code of on-point styling and Darwinian-adapted methods. Not to worry, after seasons of crammed schedules, late nights, and more than one shoe-related mishap, we've certainly worked out many of the secrets of Fashion Week-goer success. With New York's Spring 2013 mayhem kicking off in a couple of weeks, we're here to share our foolproof survival tips straight from the Lincoln Center-Milk Studios-and everything in between battlefield.
The Fashionista Warrior Checklist:
Source: Keep Calm and Carry On: How To Save Your Sweaters
As we make the switch from Summer to Fall, so do the contents of our closets. First bump in the transitional road? Sweater-care etiquette - and basically everything that encompasses (think mothballs, pillings, when to wash, how to wash, and so on). We're here to ensure you stay strong on the sweater-salvation solidarity front, and between knowing your fibers, owning a bottle of Woolite, and staying far far away from the dryer, you're in pretty good shape. Ready to steel yourself (and your sweaters) against the daily evils of wear and tear? Just keep reading.
Good Practices For Always
- Storage locale counts. Where you keep your sweaters is a huge factor in how they "age." The ideal storage spot for your cold-weather layers should be cool and dry. Direct sunlight (we know some of you rock those hanging racks) causes some fabrics to yellow, and as much as it makes sense to hang your sweaters, it's actually better to fold