Save some calories (and money!) with our handy guide to healthy recipe swaps.
Related: 9 Healthy Cooking Substitutions »
• Fresh out of white wine? Reach for white grape juice instead.
• Red wine can easily be replaced with pure cranberry juice.
• If you don't have whole milk in your fridge, opt for 1/2 cup evaporated milk + 1/2 cup water instead.
• If you don't have a carton of eggs on hand, search your fridge for egg substitute. One quarter cup will fill in for 1 whole egg.
Other dairy products
• 1 cup of half-and-half can be replaced by 7/8 cup milk + 1/2 Tbsp. melted unsalted butter.
• In lieu of 1 cup of buttermilk, combine 1 cup milk and 1 Tbsp. lemon juice or vinegar. Let stand for 10 minutes before using.
• In baking recipes that call for heavy cream, you can substitute with 1/3 cup melted unsalted butter + 3/4 cup milk for each cup the recipe calls for.
• Sour cream can easily be swapped for the same measurement of plain