- Babble.com | Back To School | Mon, Aug 20, 2012 3:47 PM EDT | Comments
Now that's a woman whose kids are back in school again!
The first day of school is almost here. Can you believe it? It seems like forever ago that I wrote about the things I am dreading about back-to-school season. And while I am still apprehensive about each and every one of those annoyances that occur in September, there is a part of me, a teeny, tiny part of me that just cannot wait until the kids are back in school again.
There are very small yet specific things I'm really looking forward to….
Related: 10 things you should NEVER say to a mom
I know that from 8am-3pm everyday, I will never have to hear that "he did this" or "she did that", "I don't want to", or "why do I have to"? After a summer that was tipped off with two days indoors from the east coast hurricane, the absence of complaints will be music to my ears.
Quiet...Read More »
I am the type of person who really likes the library environment, no joke. When it is quiet and peaceful, I feel calm and collected. But best of all, I welcome back new ideas for upcoming p
- Red Tricycle | Back To School | Mon, Aug 20, 2012 1:28 AM EDT | Comments
When back to school time rolls around we almost think that happy hour should be pushed to 9:00am. By then you've gone through the chaotic routine of getting the kids up, breakfast made, and dodged a few cars as you made your mad dash for an on-time drop-off. While we can't officially help you out with those tantrums and perpetually late mornings, we can make your lives easier by providing you with this ultimate back to school guide. From awesome lunch boxes to backpacks to choice eco-friendly essentials, we've got you covered. Despite the daily screams of terror during morning drop-off, at least the shopping will be a breeze and you and your kid will be doing it all in stylish and fab gear, right?
Lunch Boxes...Read More »
Our kids don't even know the meaning of a brown bag lunch thanks in part to some totally innovative and creative lunch boxes. From vintage lunch boxes to BPA-free options, we've got plenty of choices for every little school kid out there. Click here for our full list o
- Babble.com | Back To School | Mon, Aug 20, 2012 3:40 PM EDT | CommentsAt fifteen months, my daughter started spitting out words like crazy, exactly at the same time she started daycare. And with this came our worries that being exposed to English just when she was starting to learn Spanish, would confuse her to the point that my husband's nightmares would become a reality. You see, ever since she was born, he has had nightmares about his daughter asking him to take her for a ride in his troka to the marketa. So you can imagine how important an issue her acquisition and fluency of both Spanish and English is in our home. We don't want her to just understand Spanish and speak back to us in English; we want her to be able to communicate with her grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins in Mexico and El Salvador in their language. We don't want her to feel embarrassed because she speaks Spanish but speaks it differently.
There are a ton of benefits to raising a bilingual child.
By the time she had turned three, Camila had a long distance relationship with everyone in her family, except for her mamá and papá. I alw...Read More »
- Sarah Mccoll, Shine Staff | Back To School | Mon, Sep 10, 2012 11:57 AM EDT | CommentsEven those of us who don't head back to school soon can feel the draw of blank notebooks, freshly-sharpened pencils, and the possibilities of a fresh start in September. We will finally read the works of Dickens! We will wear on-trend black cherry lipstick! And whether in a brown paper sack or chic insulated tote, we will bring lunch to work, save thousands of dollars and feel like bastions of health in the process! I get as excited about this time of year as I do about the real new year, can you tell?
This salad won't wilt hanging out in the office fridge.
This time at Food Network's Communal Table, we're bringing back-to-school lunches. I like a big lunchtime salad made with bright, filling ingredients to keep me charged through the afternoon, but I don't like soggy, sad desk salads. This quinoa salad is perfect for taking to work: because only the quinoa is dressed in olive oil and lemon juice, the lettuce won't get wilty as it hangs out in the office fridge. The protein-packed grain has earthy staying power, red onion adds a ...Read More »
- The_stir | Back To School | Mon, Aug 20, 2012 10:26 AM EDT | CommentsHave you gotten the "OMG, my kid got Such-and-Such Teacher, and I hear she's just awful" call from a friend yet? Just wait. Bad teacher stories are as much a tradition as big fish tales, and there's a chorus of them every year during back-to-school season.
More from The Stir: Sex Questions From Kids Are Hilarious, But Scary
Moms! Dads! Allow me to be the little voice of reason whispering in your ear. It won't be that bad. Really.
My daughter is headed into second grade this year, and we've already had two incredible women who came into our lives and helped us mold her little mind. I can't help but have high hopes for the year to come. Thinking anything less is just shooting myself in the foot.
Yes, there's always one or two bad apples that spoils the bunch, but teachers these days are mostly hardworking professionals who got into the gig because they actually like kids ... and education. The scary stuff that used to fly back in the day won't.
So just for a little per...Read More »