Princeton Mom," has returned to the place where it all began – the school newspaper, the Daily Princetonian.
Patton, an alumna of the school, became a viral sensation when she wrote a letter to the paper urging young women attending Princeton to hurry up and land high-achieving husbands while they still had the chance.
The anti-feminist letter blew up online, and Patton landed a book deal. Her book, "Marry Smart: Advice for Finding THE ONE," came out on March 11. In an interview promoting her book, Patton downplayed the threat of rape on campus, saying that a woman being sexually assaulted should take responsibility the same way that someone should look both ways before crossing the street. Unsurprisingly, her comments didn't go over very well.
Today, a group of professors at the Ivy League school, including award-winning writer Joyce Carol Oates, signed an open letter addressed to Patton and published in the Daily Princetonian. The letter
- Lilit Marcus, Shine Contributor | Healthy Living – Wed, Mar 26, 2014 5:29 PM EDT
Princeton Mom," has returned to the place where it all began – the school newspaper, the Daily Princetonian.The backlash against Susan Patton, aka "Read More »from Princeton Professors Take Down 'Princeton Mom' In Amazing Open Letter
- Source: How to Lose Weight Without Even Trying
Losing weight takes a lot of sweat and discipline, but even when you're not powering through a treadmill interval workout or counting calories, there are a lot of simpler ways to see those pounds drop on the scale. Employing these 10 little tricks daily will help you lose weight, no gym or diet required.
- Always start a meal with a glass of water: You'll stay hydrated and feel fuller instantly, which can help you from overeating.
- Make a few simple swaps at every meal: Going for a vinaigrette dressing instead of a Green Goddess dressing at lunch can save you 80 calories, while opting for fresh fruit instead of dried can save you dozens as well. Get a list of simple swaps to save calories here.
- Have a piece of dark chocolate for dessert: Instead of opting for the cookies in the break room, quiet your sugar cravings with a piece of dark chocolate. It may not feel quite as satisfying the first few times, but as you wean yourself
- POPSUGAR Fitness | Healthy Living – Wed, Mar 26, 2014 5:06 PM EDTSource: Tricks to Get More Life From Your Kicks (and to Save Some Dough Too!)
Costing upward of $150, high-quality running sneakers can put quite a dent in your wallet - and depending on how much you run, you may have to replace them two times a year. You definitely don't want to compromise on support or functionality, so try these strategies for prolonging the life of your shoes.
You may be in love with those superstylish hot-pink running sneaks, but really, you're not a road runner, you're a trail blazer. If you run on uneven, wet trails, you'll quickly wear through sneakers made for the road. Purchase shoes specifically designed for the surface you usually run on, and they'll last a lot longer. If you tend to mix up your terrain (thumbs-up to you!), then purchase a few pairs based on your running-surface needs.
More from POPSUGAR Fitness: 15 Ways to Feel Skinnier by the End of Today
So What If They Match Your Outfit?Read More »from Tricks to Get More Life from Your Kicks (and to Save Some Dough Too!)
Even if your running shoes are
- Source: The Mistake That's Costing You Pounds
If you're only doing cardio, you're missing out on a great weight-loss secret that could be the reason you're not seeing results: strength training. That's why we created this printable poster to remind ourselves to challenge our muscles in order to drop the pounds. The more muscle you have, the more calories you'll burn, even when you're just sitting in your chair.
If you're worried about looking bigger, not smaller, once you grab those dumbbells, don't be. Lifting weights won't make you bulk up. While you may see an uptick on the scale when you first start building muscle, don't worry - toned muscles help define and sculpt your body, which means you'll actually look thinner. Get building with these strength-training exercises for your entire body.
Want to know more reasons why you're not seeing results? Check out these 25 reasons you're not losing weight.Read More »from The Mistake That's Costing You Pounds
- POPSUGAR Fitness | Healthy Living – Wed, Mar 26, 2014 4:40 PM EDTPOPSUGAR FitnessSource: 3 Crave-Worthy Chips With a Secret Ingredient You'll Love
We've tasted our share of healthy chips, but when an unexpected - and nutritious! - ingredient gets thrown in the mix, we get really excited. The next time you're craving something salty and crunchy, you'll definitely want one of these protein-, fiber-, and potassium-rich chips that were being touted at the Natural Products Expo in Anaheim, CA. The star ingredient? Quinoa - it doesn't get much healthier than that!
- Live Love Snack Popped Chips: Gluten-free and high in healthy whole grains like chia seeds, sprouted quinoa flour, and sprouted seeds, Live Love Snacks Popped Multigrain Chips come in a number of tasty flavors, but the Kale & Sea Salt variety is the must-try flavor.
- Late July Chia and Quiona Chips: Late July Organic Snacks makes some of the most crave-worthy chips on the market, and I was excited to taste its brand-new cantina-style chip at the expo. Light and crispy with the perfect crunch,
- POPSUGAR FitnessSource: 15 Ways to Feel Skinnier by the End of Today
Slimming down takes time and dedication, but a few quick tricks can help you feel a little bit lighter in just one day. Read on to get our tips for feeling less bloated and puffy - and having a flatter belly - by the end of today!
- Morning: Drink Hot Water and Lemon: A mug of hot lemon water in the morning wakes up your digestive system and helps get things moving. You can drink green tea with lemon if you don't like the taste of warm lemon water on its own.
- Morning: Go Dairy Free: Many people feel belly discomfort after eating dairy. If that's you, leave out the cream and yogurt from your morning breakfast. These dairy-free breakfast recipe ideas will help you nix the yogurt, cheese, and milk to see if you feel better.
- Morning: Detox With Yoga: Yoga twists help rid your body of toxins by aiding your digestion. This yoga detox sequence includes plenty of twists and stretches to help you wake up and feel your best.
- Lauren Tuck, Shine Staff | Healthy Living – Wed, Mar 26, 2014 4:16 PM EDT
Lammily, of course), but one artist has taken the doll to different heights in a mesmerizing sculpture.Barbie generally comes in one shape and size (well, except for artist Nickolay Lamm's
During a trip to visit her ill sister in her home country of Belgium, Annette Thas was overwhelmed by memories of her childhood. Wanting to translate those emotions into an inclusive piece of art that lots of people could connect with and understand, Thas (who now resides in Australia) eventually chose Barbie dolls as her medium. “First it was a wave of dolls and then fine-tuning the idea over the next couple of years turned it into the Barbie dolls as a universal icon that most people know and understand,” Thas says in a video interview. The final product? A wildly impressive, 13-foot-tall "wave" of nothing but Barbies.Read More »from Giant Wave of Barbie Dolls Sculpture Makes a Splash
To achieve the sense of being submerged, Thas explains that the wave’s size had to be just right — above the head and encompassing the eyes' periphery (the sculpture is around 16
- Everyday Health | Healthy Living – Wed, Mar 26, 2014 3:38 PM EDTCould you recognize the signs of someone having a stroke?
By Jennifer Brown, PhD, Everyday Health
Stroke hit Donna Arnett of Birmingham, Ala. when she was only 27, but as a nurse she recognized the signs of stroke and got help right away. Few are so lucky. Stroke kills about 130,000 people in the United States each year, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC), and is a leading cause of long-term disability.
While women in the United States understand the seriousness of stroke, they are less clear on the symptoms of stroke, according to a phone survey of more than 1,200 participants presented last week at the American Heart Association Scientific Sessions, and published in the journal Stroke.
Getting the Facts on Stroke's Signs
Here's what the survey - conducted by Lori Mosca, MD, PhD, of Columbia University Medical Center in New York and others - showed about stroke awareness among women:
- 51 percent recognized that stroke causes weakness on one side of the body in the face, arms or legs
- 44 percent
- If you're just starting to walk or run, a good pair of shoes is important. Here's a primer.
By Jennifer Van Allen, Runner's World
When you first start working out, it's tempting to dust off the vaguely-athletic-looking shoes in your closet, but it's not a good idea. Worn-out or ill-fitting shoes are a leading cause of injury. And wear and tear are not always apparent to the naked eye. If you want to stay healthy, fit, and injury-free, invest in a good pair of workout shoes. Follow these tips to make sure you get the pair that you need. (Or, check out the latest Runner's World Shoe Guide for some stylish ideas.)
Don't skimp. It may feel like a lot to spend up to $120 on a pair of running shoes, but the investment is worth it. Consider this: Whatever your new shoes cost, it is likely less than the money and time you'd spend seeing the doctor because you got hurt. (Even before an injury, your toes could be telling you it's time for a checkup. Read What Your Feet Say About Your HealthRead More »from 6 Ways to Find the Perfect Workout Shoes
- Beth Greenfield, Shine Staff | Healthy Living – Wed, Mar 26, 2014 3:25 PM EDT
Molly Brown and Elizabeth Shutes and, of course, Kate Winslet’s fictional (though adored) onscreen character. Now comes one from French passenger Rose Amélie Icard, whose letter containing eyewitness details of the disaster has emerged on Reddit, causing a stir among history lovers.We’ve had compelling Titanic survivor accounts from the likes of Read More »from Titanic Survivor's Revealing Letter Sparks Interest on Reddit
More on Shine: Lee Harvey Oswald's Wife Auctions Off His Wedding Band
“I’ve always been fascinated by the Titanic, ever since my dad took me to an exhibit on it when I was 13 years old. It really struck a chord with me,” Mike Delgado, the owner of Icard’s letter, which is penned in French, tells Yahoo Shine. He posted images of the pages on Reddit on March 20 with the request, “I would love to have it translated so I could have them framed.” The post generated more than 44,000 views, hundreds of comments, and a page-by-page translation written out by multiple users.
Delgado, a 29-year-old U.S. Marine based in Florida who also owns Icard’s
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- So This Must Be What Santa Claus Drinks on VacationSat, Dec 14, 2013 6:10 PM EST
- We've Officially Fused December's Two Most Decadent TreatsSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:09 AM EST
- Gorgeous Graphic Cookies -- No Special Tools (or, Um, Skills) RequiredSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:12 AM EST