Oppressed Majority” four years ago but just recently added subtitles. “What’s happened to my film is fantastic,” she told the New York Times. “I don’t know if it’s just the subject or the buzz.”
More on Shine: Snickers Ad Angers Some, Confuses Others. Is It Really Sexist?
Though the 11-minute film — which, WARNING, contains female nudity — received little attention when it was originally released in 2010, Pourriat uploaded it to YouTube with the addition of English subtitles in February. Since then, it’s reached more than 9 million views (compared to the 700,000, interestingly, on the French-only version) and spurred an impassioned social-media dialogue about gender oppression.
The film follows a harried father through his day in a society ruled by women (many of whom we see jogging past him, topless). And as he goes
- Beth Greenfield, Shine Staff | Love + Sex – Mon, Apr 7, 2014 4:48 PM EDT
Oppressed Majority” four years ago but just recently added subtitles. “What’s happened to my film is fantastic,” she told the New York Times. “I don’t know if it’s just the subject or the buzz.”A short French film that uses simple role reversal to illustrate sexism has gone viral, surprising no one more, perhaps, than the filmmaker, Eléonore Pourriat, who created “Read More »from The Viral French Feminist Film Everyone's Talking About
The Truth About Young MarriageCan I say something crazy?
(Yes, sorry, but after watching the movie non-stop straight for the past week, it's kind of in my head, ok? #FrozenForever)
At 27, my husband and I have been together for a shocking 11 years. In five years, we will have been together longer than we have lived apart. How strange is that?
Yesterday, I wrote a piece about some of the most common mistakes couples make in a marriage that can lead to a divorce, and one of the factors that kept popping up over and over in my research was something that hit a little too close to home for me:
Couples who get married too young.
It's really not an uncommon idea - many studies cite getting married too young as a factor in divorce, like this one that says that young couples with low education are one of the most likely groups to get divorced. One divorced woman even advocates that no one should get married before age 25.
And while I'm of course biased because we got married at the ripe old age of 21, I amRead More »from The Truth About Young Marriage
- TheKnot.com | Love + Sex – Mon, Apr 7, 2014 3:06 PM EDT
By: Ivy Jacobson for TheKnot.com
FameFlyNetTaylor Armstrong, formerly on The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, got married to attorney John Bluher in a lavish beachside wedding at the Bel-Air Bay Club in Pacific Palisades, California, on Friday.
More from The Knot: 6 Ideas To Steal From Kim Kardashian's Wedding
Even though Taylor's not technically a "Real Housewife" anymore, her ceremony had plenty of former castmates, bling and champagne vows, proving that you can take the girl out of Beverly Hills, but you can't take the Beverly Hills out of the girl! Here are the highlights from Taylor and John's wedding:
More from The Knot: Most Famous Engagement Rings In History
1. Taylor's 8-year-old daughter, Kennedy, walked her down the aisle in front of 120 guests, and it was important for Kennedy to play a big role in the wedding. Taylor told People: "Today, John, Kennedy and I became a family. I married my best friend and Kennedy's family circle became complete."
2. The Real HousewivesRead More »from 6 Things You Need to Know About Taylor Armstrong’s Wedding
- Live Your Fairy Tale
This week, when it comes to talking to your lover, you won't hold back. After Monday and until April 23, Mercury will be in Aries, allowing you to speak your mind without hesitation. While this will help you get to the point in all conversations, at the same time you may run short on tact. On Tuesday, your lover might not respond to a situation in the way you'd hope, but Venus will embrace Neptune by the time Friday arrives and you'll only see the best in your sweetheart. Ignoring all the flaws can be nice once in a while. Go ahead, live the fairy tale!
Get more love advice with a Relationship Potentials reading, and look up your zodiac sign below.
Aries Horoscope (March 21 - April 19)
You won't have any problem speaking up for yourself this week. If there's any situation you and your partner need to hash out, you may come across as more argumentative than usual, or you might speak in a way that's more selfish. While this may irk your mate, at the same time itRead More »from Weekly Love Horoscope: Live Your Fairy Tale
- Astrology.com Tarot | Love + Sex – Mon, Apr 7, 2014 11:54 AM EDT
The Moon card suggests that if you are in the dark and caught up in illusion where love is concerned, then false motives or inconsistencies may be revealed or a choice may need to be made. As a result, you could feel moody or unsettled. If you go with your gut, it might turn out to be a good time for romance or spontaneous acts of passion -- provided they are expressions of your true nature, rather than being created from a need for acceptance. Read More »from Astrology.Com Daily Love Tarot - Tuesday April 8, 2014
- Newser | Love + Sex – Mon, Apr 7, 2014 11:37 AM EDTAccording to LELO, 86% of lefties put themselves in the 'extremely satisfied' category.(Newser) - If the results of a survey by a Swedish "intimate lifestyle product" manufacturer are to be believed, the left-handed among us are vastly more satisfied with our sex lives. As part of LELO's 2014 Global Sex Survey of 10,000 people, the company distinguished between righties and lefties, and asked about their levels of satisfaction in bed. Some 86% of southpaws put themselves in the "Extremely Satisfied" category; only 15% of right-handed people did the same, reports Australia's News Network. LiveScience previously noted that about 10% of the planet is left-handed.
But LELO's note that the results were verified by the seemingly non-existent and too-perfectly-named "Le Gauche Institute, Paris" is enough to lead us to advise you to take the results with a grain of salt. After all, LELO has good reason for coming to such conclusions: It has a new product out that's designed for left-hand use ... by righties.
Among other potentially disheartening sex-survey news: the condomRead More »from Survey: Left-Handed People Are More Satisfied in Bed
In wedding planning, as in life, there are uncomfortable topics you have to cover, so knowing the right way to ask (instead of argue) for things gives you a way to resolve any possible ripples before they become tidal waves. When the asking is out of the way, there's more time for enjoying, celebrating and making memories. Isn't that what your big day is supposed to about? Here, some ideas.
1. How to ask your guests to travel for a destination wedding:
Asking your friends to get on board with this can be difficult. Between time off from work (and the cost of travel and lodgings), a lot of friends and family might find it difficult and expensive to attend. It's ideal to give your potential guests as much notice as possible. Read our destination wedding countdown calendar ►
You could start by saying, "We would love to have you help us celebrate and I know this will require extra time and money on your part. Do you think you could make a vacation around the wedding? I'mRead More »from 5 of the Most Awkward Wedding Questions to Ask
- BRIDES | Love + Sex – Mon, Apr 7, 2014 10:36 AM EDT
by Lauren Frankfort
Kanye West and Kim Kardashian
Kimye strikes again, folks. Just when you thought their wedding couldn't be more elaborate - or more expensive - the Vogue cover stars have even more tricks up their sleeves.
See more: The Most Flattering Wedding Dress for Your Body Type
Reportedly, the high-profile couple will spend approximately $125,000 on each of their 200 guests according to a source that told Grazia UK reports StyleCaster. In case you didn't want to do the math yourself, that comes out to a total of 25 million (yeah, we gasped, too) on the guests alone. Nevermind the lavish, hand-delivered wedding invitations, which reportedly cost $1,000. "Kim and Kanye wanted the invites to be as lavish as possible, and commissioned a couture designer to create gold silk boxes containing a photo album of their fairytale romance and a silk invite etched in real gold leaf with a clasp of natural pearls," the source says.
See more: Kim Kardashian's Wedding Dress! 11 Fantasy Sketches
As for the 125KRead More »from You'll Never Guess How Much Kim & Kanye's Wedding Favors Cost
- These seemingly innocent phrases still have the power to wound… big-time. By Anna, Davies, REDBOOK.
1. "Did I ever tell you about the time X and I skinny-dipped?""She didn't, but now that's all I can think about," says Charles S., 42. "I've never skinny-dipped with her, and she's my wife! I wonder what other wild things she and her ex got up to that I've never heard about." While you may intend to innocently share stories about your crazy single days, your guy hears this and assumes you're still hung up on your ex. You don't have to edit your stories for his ears, but add how much more fun it would be to go skinny-dipping with him so he knows that he's the only one you want.
2. Do you know how many gray hairs you have?
"My wife said this to me on my 40th birthday!" says Mike S., 41. "I know she was just kidding, but more than a year later, I still think about it every time I look in the mirror. I thought I looked good." Gentle ribbing is part of marriage, but it'sRead More »from 10 Things He’ll Never Forget You Said
Grand Central ceiling
Each week, we at EMandLO.com predict the course of your love life for the week with our own version of irreverent horoscopes - ignore our advice at your own peril! (Hyperbole intended for dramatic effect.)
aries (Mar. 21st-Apr. 20th)
Whoever you're currently with is going to hate us for this one (you yourself may even be a little bummed), but we recommend having the"Let's just be friends" conversation with you-know-who. Hey, that's just the way the cookie crumbles when you realize that what you want and what you've got are two different things. If you wait, you could very well be on the receiving end of a conversation like this.
taurus (Apr. 21st-May 20th)
This week is going to kick tushy for Tauruses (Tauri?) everywhere! Maybe you'll meet the man or woman or your dreams! Maybe you'll win the lottery! Maybe you'll hit inbox zero! Maybe you'll just feel so irrationally cheerful that you'll use exclamation points all day!
gemini (May 21st-June 21st)
You'reRead More »from Your Love Life Horoscopes: 4-07-2014
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- So This Must Be What Santa Claus Drinks on VacationSat, Dec 14, 2013 6:10 PM EST
- We've Officially Fused December's Two Most Decadent TreatsSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:09 AM EST
- Gorgeous Graphic Cookies -- No Special Tools (or, Um, Skills) RequiredSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:12 AM EST