poignant blog post written by a mother of five made a beautifully honest illustration of that recently.
More on Shine: Good Samaritan Pays Stranger's Baggage Fee at Airport
“To the Woman Behind Me in Line at the Grocery Store," posted on March 19, was republished by the Huffington Post on Thursday. In it, the woman, who identifies herself only as Andrea, thanks an unknown fellow shopper for paying for her groceries, which totaled just $17.38, after being faced with an out-of-service EBT machine and an empty wallet. Her tale has captured public empathy, with many readers commenting with supportive sentiments and even job offers. "I am overwhelmed. I am humbled. I am awed," she tells Yahoo Shine about the positive response. "I am also amazed. I am honored that people trust me with their stories. I am pleased that the vast majority are
- Beth Greenfield, Shine Staff | Parenting – Fri, Apr 4, 2014 12:30 PM EDT
poignant blog post written by a mother of five made a beautifully honest illustration of that recently.A simple, generous act of kindness can be so life changing — especially when it means the difference between kids going hungry or having full bellies. A Read More »from Mom Grateful for Stranger Who Paid for Family Groceries: 'You Didn't Judge'
By: Ivy Jacobson for TheBump.com
Photo: OK MagazineThe Jersey Shore is going to have to prepare for a tiny new visitor soon! Snooki and her fiance, Jionni LaValle, announced today in a cute blog post that they're expecting their second child.
More from The Bump: Are you ready for baby number 2?
"Jionni and I are so excited to confirm that we are expecting our second child! Now knowing that our test results are good and our baby is healthy, we can finally talk about it! We planned to have a second child before our wedding, and will indeed still be getting married in the fall of 2014. We are a committed family that will raise our children to be the best they can be and give them the best life we can give them… Big things are happening this year with the wedding, moving into our dream house and having our second bambino or bambina!"
More from The Bump: How do I prepare my toddler for another baby?Snooki also told Us Weekly that she's due in the fall around her wedding date, so we're hoping that Read More »from Snooki is Pregnant with Baby Number 2!
- Eve MacSweeney
Emily BluntEmily Blunt has won over Hollywood with her effortless wit and wry, British charm. Now she's embarking on her most ambitious production yet: motherhood.
"It's really the coolest thing that's ever happened to me," says Emily Blunt of imminent motherhood. Never mind her debut on the London stage at eighteen alongside Judi Dench, directed by Peter Hall; the Golden Globe she won for her performance in the BBC movie Gideon's Daughter, with Bill Nighy; acting opposite Matt Damon, Ewan McGregor, Meryl Streep (twice), and swinging on wires in an "exosuit" with Tom Cruise in this summer's sci-fi spectacular Edge of Tomorrow. On a sunny January afternoon in Los Angeles, Blunt couldn't be more excited about the baby "pretzeled in there," as she puts it, a month or so away from birth.
"I feel good," she says, "although I do wake up feeling like my grandmother. I sleep with a fortress of pillows around me. I've got one of those huge C-shaped ones," she adds. "My husbandRead More »from Emily Blunt on Her Next Big Project—Motherhood
Every child is so different and there are so many variables to any situation, that it's impossible to say that one thing is true for every parent and every child.
In the last nearly four years of parenting, though, I've learned some things that seem to be at least somewhat universal. Have these been true for you too? - By Janssen Bradshaw
- 5 Unusual Ways To Baby Proof Your Home
I'm much more of the "live and let learn" variety. Sure, I'll put up a baby gate to save myself a bit of worry and yes, I'll bust out the outlet covers, but other than that, I don't believe in making my house a plastic bubble for my kids.
That being said, however, there are some things I've seen, especially in my work as a nurse, over the past year that have made me re-think my stance on baby proofing. There may be some unusual ways that we all need to baby proof our homes…
Thank goodness I put those outlet covers on!
1. The TV. If you have a TV that, like ours, is not mounted to the wall, but freestanding, you should definitely consider baby-proofing by securing the TV to the wall. Only a few months ago, I had the unfortunate opportunity to be in the OR at the hospital where I was working as a nurse and saw the case of a young infant who had been fatally injured when the family's TV set fell onRead More »from 5 Unusual Ways to Baby Proof Your Home
- TheBump.com | Parenting – Thu, Apr 3, 2014 6:17 PM EDT
By: Ivy Jacobson for TheBump.com
The last time we heard about weightlifting and bodybuilding mom Lea-Ann Ellison, she was sparking controversy by posting photos of herself on Facebook lifting enormous weights during Crossfit - two weeks before her due date.
More from The Bump: 5 ways to change your workout now that you're pregnant
Along with the photos, she wrote, "After the birth of my second child, I knew I needed to step it up big time. I loved being a Mom but I wanted to be a HOT Mom."
More from The Bump: 7 Healthy Meal Ideas For Pregnancy
Now, she's spoken out about her son, Ellison, four months after his birth. Many doctors weighed in and said that her strenuous exercises could create complications during labor and require medical interventions, but Lea-Ann recently stated that she and her third son are healthy and doing great.
While there aren't any official exercise guidelines for expectant moms, it's important to always listen to your body and go at your own pace.
ThirtyRead More »from Controversial Bodybuilder Mom Speaks Out About Her Postbaby Health
- Beth Greenfield, Shine Staff | Parenting – Thu, Apr 3, 2014 4:15 PM EDT
paternity leave (after missing opening day on Monday, God forbid, for his son Noah’s birth).Here’s why gender roles in relation to American child-rearing are so hopelessly steeped in sexist tradition: because of guys like radio hosts Mike Francesa, Craig Carton and Boomer Esiason, all of whom, if you’ve not yet heard, have slammed Mets second baseman Daniel Murphy for daring to take a three-day Read More »from Clueless Sports Commentators Need a Primer on Paternity Leave
Thankfully, Murphy spoke up eloquently in defense of his decision on Thursday. “The awesome part about being blessed, about being a parent, is you get that choice. My wife and I discussed it, and we felt the best thing for our family was for me to try to stay for an extra day — that being Wednesday — due to the fact that she can't travel for two weeks,” the ballplayer told ESPN. “It's going to be tough for her to get up to New York for a month. I can only speak from my experience — a father seeing his wife — she was completely finished, I mean, she was done. She had surgery and she was wiped.
- Babble.com | Parenting – Thu, Apr 3, 2014 3:48 PM EDT
I feel Paislee Harper's pain.
The little girl from Kentucky recently turned 4, and she just didn't want to do it. The prospect of a new car seat, bicycle, or big-kid stuff couldn't entice her to feel happy about getting older. When she was 3, she got her ears pierced and went to Disney World. How do you top that?
I cried when my older daughter turned 4. At 3, she was still kind of baby-ish, but in a good way. She retained a need for me in a primal way. I begged her not to turn 4. Pleaded with her. Asked nicely and reasoned with her calmly. Tried bribing her. But she would have none of it. She did promise for a moment to stay 3 forever, but then her birthday hit, and she was all, "I don't know what you're talking about. I am so a 4-year-old now. Later, Mommy!" Unlike Paislee, my daughter was tragically lured by the shiny prospects of Pre-K.
Paislee's mom interviewed her on camera with her twin brother, Hudson, on theRead More »from Hilarious! 4-Year-Old Has Premature Midlife Crisis Over Getting Older
- Babble.com | Parenting – Thu, Apr 3, 2014 3:48 PM EDTBrad Pitt's Production Company to Make Film on Infamous Steubenville Rape Case There aren't many people who haven't heard of the Steubenville case. Now it seems that Brad Pitt himself has taken notice.
According to Hollywood's insider blog, The Tracking Board, Pitt's company Plan B has bought the rights to a Rolling Stone feature "Anonymous vs. Steubenville," which covers the case but mainly focuses on one man named Deric Lostutter: a hacktivist and member of Anonymous (an online vigilante group).
In case you missed the case which dominated the headlines throughout 2013 - it concerned the rape of a 16-year-old girl by two high school football players and the subsequent alleged cover-up that took place involving many members of the small community. The case came to Lostutter's attention, and he began to expose the true story of what happened in Steubenville - offering justice for the victim and garnering attention for the victim's plight. After the attack on the 16-year-old "Jane Doe," there had been images and discussion of what happened to her onRead More »from Brad Pitt’s Production Company to Make Film on Infamous Steubenville Rape Case
- Babble.com | Parenting – Thu, Apr 3, 2014 3:08 PM EDTStomach Bug or Baby?A Connecticut woman who believed she'd caught a stomach bug was shocked to discover that those sharp abdominal aches were actually labor pains. Jennifer Scollin didn't know she was pregnant, but this past Saturday, she gave birth to her second child -- a 9-pounder named Cole, the Connecticut Post reports.
It's by all accounts, a happy development since babies are generally more pleasant than prolonged bouts of vomiting and diarrhea. In fact, I'd say that all-too-common baby vomit and diarrhea are still preferable to grown-up versions of the same.
That said, for the benefit of any slightly confused, possibly-pregnant-or-maybe-it-was-a-bad-burrito ladies out there, I'd like to offer up this handy quiz.*
1. There's an empty room in your house. Do you:
A. Have the sudden urge to decorate it with alphabet letter decals and happy clouds?
B. Throw up in it.
C. Decorate it and then throw up in that one corner where you didn't paste decals and clouds.
2. When you look down,Read More »from Do You Have a Stomach Bug or Are You Pregnant? Take the Quiz!
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- So This Must Be What Santa Claus Drinks on VacationSat, Dec 14, 2013 6:10 PM EST
- We've Officially Fused December's Two Most Decadent TreatsSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:09 AM EST
- Gorgeous Graphic Cookies -- No Special Tools (or, Um, Skills) RequiredSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:12 AM EST