- BabyZone | Parenting – Wed, Dec 18, 2013 12:26 PM ESTWhen it's your turn to bring the preschool snack, you're hosting a party or just feeding your own brood, these ideas will keep the sugar crashes to a minimum and even add a few healthy habits too. -By Charity Curley Mathews Read More »from 5 Healthy Preschool Snacks for the Holidays and Beyond
- Babble.com | Parenting – Wed, Dec 18, 2013 12:25 PM EST9-Year-Old Swim Champ Donates Trophy to Sick Rival
You'd think a 9-year-old swim champ would proudly - and rightfully - want to display his winning hardware for all to see. It's one thing for every kid who participates to get a trophy. It's a whole other thing to actually earn your trophy by winning.
Joshua Zuchowski, 9, from Jupiter, Fla., is one of the best swimmers in his state, according to local news channel, WPBF. That's no small feat, considering how many kids in the Sunshine State have access to pools, making the field arguably more competitive than in most other states.
He's part of the Jupiter Dragons team and took first place last weekend in a big tournament. The win, however, was a bit diminished in his eyes. That's because one of his biggest rivals, Reese Branzell, 10, of the Lake Lytal Lightning team, was lying in a hospital bed with a "mysterious bone infection" that has rendered him unable to swim for the past month.
"I miss Josh and I miss all the friends onRead More »from 9-Year-Old Swim Champ Donates Trophy to Sick Rival
- Babble.com | Parenting – Wed, Dec 18, 2013 11:43 AM ESTThis post is written - half - jokingly. Looking for a sperm donor is no easy task, and trying to get pregnant with the help of assisted reproductive technologies is even more of a struggle. Sometimes you begin to lose your mind a little. Ideas that you know to be completely ridiculous begin to sound totally sane - because so much of the fertility journey is hard to comprehend, far-out ideas seem not so absurd. We've used up all the sperm of our first donor, which, by the way, took us over two months to pick out of the seemingly endless donor profiles. So, we're back to square one: finding a new sperm donor. You can't even begin to imagine how tough this task is. We've since thought of maybe using someone "known," and ever since our first conversation about it, I see sperm everywhere. Or, at least, potential donors in every random guy I meet. It's pretty outrageous how badly a lesbian can want sperm. Don't worry, the irony is not lost on me. This is my list of the 7 totally random dudesRead More »from Desperately Seeking Sperm: 7 Totally Random Guys I Almost Asked to Be a Sperm Donor
- Babble.com | Parenting – Wed, Dec 18, 2013 11:32 AM ESTCan't We Just Leave North West (and Her Eyebrows) Alone?
Kim Kardashian cannot win. When Kim and Kanye West opted to delay releasing photos of their baby North West, the public (and the media) were up in arms that they took so long. And then when they did finally share photos of their adorable baby, this innocent infant got caught in the crossfire of celebrity culture.
The newest piece of ridiculousness comes after Kim Kardashian posted a photo of North West with the caption, "Smile." It was totally adorable. But not everyone thought so.
Comments on Kim Kardashian's Facebook page covered a full range of opinions and emotions:
"Ok her eyebrows are too perfect? Makes me wonder .."
"That baby has some major brows"
"KIM YOUR BABY IS UGLY…"
Yup, an all caps insult to Kim's baby, comments on cuteness, all sprinkled with lots and lots of eyebrow talk. Yes, eyebrow talk. This a fricken' baby and oodles of adults had the time, energy, andRead More »from Can’t We Just Leave Kim Kardashian's Baby (and Her Eyebrows) Alone?
- Martha Stewart | Parenting – Wed, Dec 18, 2013 10:13 AM EST
Candy Cane Mice
Deputy crafts editor Silke Stoddard has made these easy, inexpensive, and sweet mice for whole preschool classes as holiday gifts and party treats. "I've even made them for holiday bake sales and used them as gift toppers," she says. For a twist, try making them on heavyweight paper instead of felt.
Candy Cane Mice template
1. On a photocopier, enlarge Candy Cane Mice template by 150 percent; cut out.
2. With a pencil, trace ears and body onto felt; cut out.
3. Cut inner ears and a dot for a nose from felt in a contrasting color, cut dots for eyes from black. Glue the face and inner ears in place.
4. Make slits in body for ears andRead More »from Making Memories: 7 Family-Friendly Christmas Crafts
- Redbook | Parenting – Tue, Dec 17, 2013 3:57 PM EST
By Lauren Le Vine, REDBOOK.
While society's post-baby-body obsession is far from over, it really seemed like we'd made some progress this year. Kristen Bell, Kim Kardashian, Jessica Alba, and Beyoncé all voiced their dislike of the media's baby-weight story mill. And though some of them still took drastic measures to get back to their pre-baby size, having celebrities take a stand was enough to get the groundswell started--or so we hoped.
Related: 21 Ways to Burn Fat Faster
"It used to be that people would understand that you had at least nine months to gain the weight, and you have nine months to lose it. For some reason, that axiom has gone out the window. Our culture has adopted the stance that a woman's body is never off-limits when it comes to being commented on," Dr. Sari Shepphird, a psychologist and eating disorder specialist, tells us. And with social media networks now connecting people worldwide, it seems that even new moms are no longer upholding the unspoken vowRead More »from The Latest Target of the Mommy Wars is Just... Ugh
- Disney Baby | Parenting – Tue, Dec 17, 2013 3:29 PM ESTStart a new family tradition!This time of year is so much fun, especially with a new baby around. Whether you have a laundry list of family traditions or are in need of some fun, festive things to do, it's always fun to create a new family tradition to enjoy with your loved ones. The first year my husband and I celebrated Christmas with a baby, we started the tradition of eating Christmas Eve dinner by candlelight. It's a simple thing to do, but something that we look forward to each year. Here are 6 tips for starting a new family tradition…
1. Think about what means the most to you during the holiday season. Whatever means the most to you should be celebrated! If it's important to take time to slow down, then choose a tradition that will allow you to do that. If giving is something you are passionate about, find a way to incorporate that into your new tradition.
2. Ask yourself, "What do I want my family to remember about our Christmases?" When youRead More »from Starting New Family Holiday Traditions (That Actually Last!)
- What Moms Really Want for Christmas: A to ZThere are plenty of gift guides out there decrying that they know just what moms want for Christmas, but as I look through those lists I often can't help but feel like the people writing them just don't get it. Sure, I like candles and fancy hand creams as much as the next girl, but many of the things I actually want for Christmas can't be bought at a store. (However, let's be real, some of them definitely can, and I certainly wouldn't turn up my nose at a Madewell shopping spree. Just sayin'.)
As such, I have compiled a list of items from A to Z that moms will really want for Christmas. The mom in your life may not fit the bill for all of these, but I'm pretty sure she would be pretty stoked about many of them. Scroll down for items A through J!
A: Alone time
I'm pretty sure every mom would agree with me on this one. A little time to oneself would be a fantastic Christmas gift regardless of how that alone time was spent. Maybe consider getting the mom in your life a movie
- Sarah B. Weir, Shine Senior Writer | Parenting – Tue, Dec 17, 2013 2:31 PM EST
A high school senior from Duluth, Georgia, has been suspended for the rest of the academic year for hugging his teacher. He says he was trying to brighten her day; she calls it sexual harassment. A school surveillance video captured the incident. It shows Sam McNair, 17, embracing the teacher, who has not been identified, from behind. She then pushes him away and he releases her and turns away. The teacher claims that his lips touched her neck, which he denies. She also alleges that she had warned him in the past about inappropriate physical contact.
The young man's mother, April McNair, says she never heard any complaints in the past and is worried that the suspension could seriously affect her son's ability to graduate and attend college. "He's a senior; he plays football and was getting ready for lacrosse season. By suspending him, you are stripping him of the opportunity to get a full scholarship forRead More »from Teen Says Innocent Hug Led to Year-Long Suspension
- When No Doubt bassist Tony Kanal recently welcomed a baby girl with his longtime longtime girlfriend Erin Lokitz, the couple chose the spicy and sweet name of Saffron Rose. I've always loved the name Saffron, but the name pick also got me thinking about what other savory baby names might be waiting in the spice rack. Looking for a girl or boy name with lots of flavor? Here are five spice-inspired choices. -By Jacqueline TourvilleRead More »from 5 Spice-Inspired Baby Names
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- So This Must Be What Santa Claus Drinks on VacationSat, Dec 14, 2013 6:10 PM EST
- We've Officially Fused December's Two Most Decadent TreatsSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:09 AM EST
- Gorgeous Graphic Cookies -- No Special Tools (or, Um, Skills) RequiredSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:12 AM EST