- By Martha Sorren 'Tis the season for sweet treats, and these nine DIY designs offer the perfect excuse to stock up on Easter candy this year. Make them with the kids and, if you feel like sharing, eat them together once the Easter bunny's left town. Read More »from Amazing Edible Easter Decorations
- By Justin Sedor, Refinery29
Diet fads come and go every day, each one more extreme than the next. No carbs, no fat, high fat, no meat, high meat, no gluten - we don't know about you, but we can hardly keep up. The one piece of conventional wisdom that we just can't seem to shake, though, is the idea that cutting calories will help us lose weight. Okay, yes, there is definitely truth to the concept that a net calorie deficit will result in body-weight reduction. But, obsessing over those little numbers on the back of your groceries often means ignoring basic tenets of nutrition. All calories are definitely not created equal; while a scoop of ice cream and an avocado contain the same number of calories, one choice is fundamentally healthier than the other. The important thing, of course, is to focus on giving your body what it really needs. But, it's almost impossible to ensure you're getting the right balance of nutrients when you're busy tallying calories.Read More »from This is What 100 Calories Looks Like
RELATED: The Dirty Truth
- The Today Show star shares how he's made love last for 19 years.
The Today Show star shares how he's made love last for 19 years.
How did you and Deborah meet?
She was filling in on the Today Show reading the news, and I was filling in doing the weather for Willard Scott. It started as a friendship and over a two-year period of time, it turned into a romance.
When did you know she was 'the one'?
It was the first time she made me laugh. You don't find a lot of beautiful women who also have a great sense of humor.
You have the undivided attention of the nation every weekday morning. What do you do to keep your wife's undivided attention?
The best way to get anybody's attention is dinner. I have good kitchen skills and good grocery shopping skills.
How do you achieve a sense of balance between work and family [Roker has three kids, ages 11, 15 and 25]?Read More »from Al Roker's Secrets to Being a Great Husband
It's a work in progress, and that's how you have to look at it. I try to err on the side of family, but because of the nature
- If you're consistently tired and sluggish, your eating habits may be to blame.There are days when keeping up with emails, dishes, laundry and my boisterous 2-year-old daughter leave me completely drained. Like every day. I've tried going to bed earlier, managing my time better and even grabbing an afternoon nap when my kid takes hers, but nothing has upped my energy. So I asked Elisa Zied, R.D., author of "Younger Next Week: Your Ultimate Rx to Reverse the Clock, Boost Energy and Look and Feel Younger in 7 Days," to help me put together an eating plan to maximize my energy throughout the busy day.
Zied gave me a general rule to follow: Focus on eating more protein-rich foods during the day when I need the most energy and to fill me up, and carbohydrate-rich foods by night to provide a steady stream of serotonin, a neurotransmitter that plays a role in mood, appetite and sleep. By eating more balanced meals and snacks throughout the day, I could keep my energy levels steady-as opposed to the old spike-and-crashRead More »from Eat THIS to Your Boost Energy All Day Long
- EMandLO.com | Love + Sex – Thu, Apr 3, 2014 11:31 AM EDTghost window
Other people's dreams are never interesting…except when they're about love or sex. Each week, our dream analyst Lauri Loewenberg tells one lucky reader what their dirty and/or romantic dream means. Got a dream you want Lauri to analyze? Click here to submit it (18 and older only, please). This week, a reader asks Lauri:
I dreamed that my first husband, who passed away in 2007, was lying next to me, holding me from the back, whispering something into my ear. I was trying to turn around because I didn't know who it was. I'm currently divorced from my second husband as of last September. When I turned around and saw his face, he smiled, but I knew that he was gone and started crying and woke up. Once I woke up I really cried like a little baby. What did this dream mean? I haven't dreamed about him in a long time, and that situation threw me off. What do you think?
lauri_loewenberg_100Lauri: Aw, I am so sorry for your loss. I know this dream was difficult. I hope I can bring some comfort and clarityRead More »from Did the Ghost of My Husband Visit Me in My Dreams?
- There's nothing wrong with calling in a little extra help.
Everyone sees spring as the time to do a clean sweep and catch up on all the household chores you've been putting off. But if tacking these jobs is more than you can handle right now, hiring outside help isn't a bad option. Let a pro tackle these three to-do's to get the biggest bang for your spring-cleaning buck (and one less thing on your list).
1. Washing WindowsRead More »from 3 Cleaning Chores to Leave to the Pros
Depending on the type and number of windows you have, washing them yourself can turn into a multi-day project. Professional window-washing services will usually clean the windows (inside and out), screens, and sills as part of the basic package. Some will move furnishings and protect floors and surrounding surfaces at no extra charge. The total cost will be based on your location, the number of windows, and any extras like blinds or storm windows that you also want cleaned. Call several services to compare what they offer. Most will provide free estimates for your consideration. Check the websites of associations
- Elizabeth Street | Beauty – Thu, Apr 3, 2014 11:01 AM EDTForget supplements—The smartest way to nourish your hair, skin and nails is to follow a diet full of vitamins E, A, C and B, minerals like zinc and iron, and more.Spring has sprung, which means summer-that sun-filled time of year when we bare our skin, show off our pedicures and think of inventive new updos for our hair-is just around the corner. Gone are the hats, gloves and trousers of March, and we're starting to feel that we may not be ready for the exposure. Given the circumstances, it's tempting to cut out the culinary middleman and reach for those hair, skin and nails vitamins.
However, if you're popping pills to support the health of your integumentary system, you may be doing it wrong. Let's talk prenatal vitamins, for starters. You've probably heard the rumors that taking these supplements, even when you're not pregnant or trying to conceive, can do wonders for your mane, make your skin glow and strengthen your nails. Perhaps, thinking back to how great your pregnancy hair looked, you've invested in a bottle. However, before you buy into this beauty myth, beware what the experts have to say on the matter.
"You may be temptedRead More »from Stop Popping Pills! the Hair, Skin and Nail Vitamins to Avoid
Women in the World Summit, currently underway in New York City, is a female-powered gathering like no other, inspiring global change through an impressive lineup of speakers including Meryl Streep, Hillary Rodham Clinton, Katie Couric, and Diane Von Furstenberg this year. Founded in 2010 by Tina Brown, who recently left the Daily Beast to found Tina Brown Live Media, the summit has a focus on live storytelling and interviews about courage and resilience. By the time it wraps up at the end of Saturday, it will have covered topics from Rwandan women and Uganda’s persecution of gay citizens to environmental activism and Pussy Riot’s legal struggles.The Read More »from Women in the World Summit 2014
As Clinton noted in her powerful address to the summit last year, “There is a powerful new current of grassroots activism stirring, galvanized by events too outrageous to ignore, and enabled by new technologies that give women and girls voices like never before. That’s why we need to seize the moment.” This year, the former Secretary of
- Ali Wentworth | Daily Shot – Thu, Apr 3, 2014 10:34 AM EDT
As a hit singer and former member of super group Destiny's Child, Kelly Rowland has accomplished a lot during her years of performing and traveling the globe. But the sexy singer says there are a few things left on her bucket list.
WATCH: How Ciara Deals with Haters
"A clothing line, definitely," Kelly says. "I would love to do designs for kids. But I'm so excited about doing a jewelry line." It's quite fitting for the singer, fashionista, and Caress spokesperson, who's known for her stylish red carpet looks.
Speaking of fashion, there are a few trends that Kelly is looking forward to rocking this spring. "Color, even the pop of color that you can try on your lips," Kelly says. "I'm all about the crop top," she adds. "It's important to wear the clothes. Don't let the clothes wear you."
Kelly also shared her favorite on-the-road memory from her Destiny's Child days. "Last tour was pretty awesome," she says. "We looked at everything, we wentRead More »from Kelly Rowland Reveals What's Left on Her Bucket List
By Dianna Mazzone, Refinery29
It seems everyone we meet has a different mascara they swear by. Yes, some cult favorites pop up time and time again, but we're always intrigued by the multitude of mascaras mentioned by makeup artists, models, and celebs alike. So, why are some lash enhancers cast aside by one person, yet totally beloved by another? It's because, just like hair texture or skin type, the state of your lashes is unique to you.
RELATED: Backstage All-Stars: The Beauty Products The Pros Can't Live Without
Unfortunately, mascara marketers don't use a problem-based approach to pedaling their products. So, it's not easy to tell which lash enhancer would best benefit your particular lash needs. To get to the bottom of it, we called in makeup artist Elisa Flowers. She's coated the lashes of many a top model and A-list celeb in her day, so we knew she'd have some insight into how to find the right mascara for every type of lash - from short to straight.
Click on through toRead More »from The Best Mascara for YOUR Lashes
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- So This Must Be What Santa Claus Drinks on VacationSat, Dec 14, 2013 6:10 PM EST
- We've Officially Fused December's Two Most Decadent TreatsSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:09 AM EST
- Gorgeous Graphic Cookies -- No Special Tools (or, Um, Skills) RequiredSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:12 AM EST