Burger King's New SatisfriesThe chain french fry universe got a major shake-up Tuesday morning, as Burger King announced the release of a brand-new french fry, crinkle-cut and with 40 percent less fat and 30 percent fewer calories than McDonald's fries, which they've dubbed Satisfries.
RELATED: America's Most Outrageous French Fries
The fries, which are now available in locations nationwide and in Canada, are larger than most, and took 10 years' worth of research, development, and testing before making it to market. There are two major differences between these fries and standard fast-food fries: one, the size and shape, obviously, and two, the composition of the thin batter that they're dipped in before being fried (all fast-food fries are battered before frying, apparently) allows less oil to penetrate into the fry itself, which keeps the fat and calorie content down.
RELATED: 10 Foods and Drinks Banned in America
The fries require no new training for staff and are fried in the same oil as the standard
Burger King's New SatisfriesThe chain french fry universe got a major shake-up Tuesday morning, as Burger King announced the release of a brand-new french fry, crinkle-cut and with 40 percent less fat and 30 percent fewer calories than McDonald's fries, which they've dubbed Satisfries.Read More »from Burger King Releases New Healthier French Fries
- Everyday Food | Shine Food – Wed, Sep 25, 2013 10:06 AM EDT
Unwrapped treats may be a no-no when going door to door, but a class party or evening event deserves more than a fun-size variety pack. These simple sweets and snacks are hauntingly delicious -- watch them vanish, ghostlike, before your very eyes.
Crisp Candy-Corn Treats
Spike the colored layers of these marshmallow crispy treats with orange and lemon zest for a new take on Halloween's signature candy.
9 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
12 cups miniature marshmallows, divided
3/4 teaspoon fine salt, divided
9 cups crisp puffed-rice cereal, divided
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
Yellow and red food coloring
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1. Lightly coat a 5-by-9-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. In a large saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons unsalted butter over medium. Add 4 cups miniature marshmallows and 1/4 teaspoon fine salt; stir until melted. Stir in 3 cups crisp puffed-rice cereal and immediately transfer to pan. Coat an offsetRead More »from Easy Halloween Party Treats Your Ghouls Will Be Goblin Up
- Redbook | Shine Food – Wed, Sep 25, 2013 9:57 AM EDT
And if you make a whole pan of them, there's plenty for all. Our chicken drumstick recipes are spicy, juicy, and easy. By Khalil Hymore, REDBOOK.Read More »from On Tonight's Menu Are These Lip-Smackingly Good Drumsticks
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
1 cup plain yogurt (not Greek)
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp grated ginger
4 tsp paprika
1 Tbsp garam masala (an Indian spice blend available in most grocery stores) or curry powder
1½ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
Salt and ground black pepper
8 chicken drumsticks
Sliced scallions, for serving
Related: 25 Grill Ideas for the Way Women Really Want to Eat
1. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray; set aside. In a large zip-top bag, combine yogurt, garlic, ginger, paprika, garam masala, turmeric, and cayenne; season with salt and pepper. With a fork, prick drumsticks all over and add them to bag. Seal and marinate 20 minutes, up to overnight.
Related: 17 Short and Sweet Shot-Glass Desserts
2. Heat oven to 425°F. Remove chicken from marinade and place on prepared baking sheet. Roast,
By Louis DeNicola, Cheapism.com
Coffee is a big and competitive business in the United States -- Statistic Brain reports that consumers spend more than 18 billion dollars a year on specialty brews alone -- and coffee shops are working hard to build loyal followings. Some do so with exceptional service and delicious drinks and others rely on low prices. Another tactic: a coffee rewards program. Independent coffee houses likely do this with a stamp or punch card while some larger chains have embraced the plastic gift card.
Related: Best inexpensive coffee makersAll of the largest brewed-coffee companies gave a free drink at the start of membership.
We looked at the coffee loyalty programs at six of the largest brewed-coffee purveyors and found that a free drink is just the beginning. Some coffee rewards programs give away snacks, refills, upgraded sizes, and extra credit for reloading gift cards.
- My Starbucks Rewards is the largest and most well-established coffee rewards program. Members who register a gift or credit card and make one purchase earn one "star"
- Food52 | Shine Food – Wed, Sep 25, 2013 9:07 AM EDT
We believe smoked salmon should not be relegated to a bagel topper. Tonight, try putting it on toast slathered with herb butter. Toast can be a complete and satisfying dinner, but in the attempt of heeding our mothers' advice and balancing food groups, add a little something green on the side; we propose pairing the toasts with seasonally appropriate green beans. You will feel so cosmopolitan and French.
Serves 20Read More »from Dinner Tonight: Smoked Salmon Toasts + Green Beans
10 ounces of the best quality smoked salmon in medium-thin slices (Norwegian or Wild Alaskan)
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon lemon zest
31/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup finely chopped chives or green onions
1 tablespoon fresh dill, finely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 thin, long French Baguette, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place bread slices on baking sheet. Bake
- Disney Spoonful | Shine Food – Tue, Sep 24, 2013 7:06 PM EDT
An awesome autumn treat.Halloween is a great time to involve your children in making crafts and treats. And this fun family activity is a craft plus treat, all-in-one! Kids of all ages love marshmallow treats, but did you know that you can color them? And, mold the still-warm treats into all kinds of shapes? These little pumpkins are easy to make and perfect for Halloween! Our whole family had fun creating our little pumpkin treats, and I bet your family would enjoy making them, too!Read More »from Absolutely Gourd-eous! Marshmallow-Rice Cereal Pumpkins Are a Sweet Treat for Fall
3 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
1 package marshmallows (10 oz.) or 4 cups mini marshmallows
Orange (or yellow + red) food coloring
5-6 cups crispy rice cereal
Miniature chocolate roll candies
Related: Mickey mummy cupcakes, poison apple cookies and 10 more Disney Halloween treats
1. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over low heat.
2. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
3. Add a little food coloring to create a nice, bright orange color.
Preheat that oven, sift your flour, and get ready to do some serious baking.What sends kids scurrying to the kitchen in a pitter patter of little feet faster than anything else? Why, the sweet smell of cookies baking in the oven, of course. These special treats are a hallmark of the holiday season, and they're also great for special occasions like birthday parties.Read More »from The 7 Best Cookies for Kids (And Adults)
What is it that makes a cookie especially kid-friendly? Perhaps it's as simple as a familiar sugar cookie taking on a new shape or a new color, or that others mimic classic store-bought favorites with a twist, and some are easy enough to make that kids can help make them, too. So we rounded up a few cookie recipes that fit the bill. Give any of these recipes a try and they're sure to put smiles on everyone's faces.
So preheat that oven, sift your flour, and get ready to do some serious baking.
Sweet Jewel Box Cookies
These cookies are just as much of a treat for the eyes as they are for the taste buds.
Click here to see the Sweet Jewel Box Cookies Recipe
Pink Pig Shortbread Cookies
Megan O. SteintragerRead More »from Make a Healthy Lunch with Leftovers
I often say that the only people who don't like leftovers are those who don't have to cook for themselves. I have no problem eating the same dinner two or three nights in a row, but since our current Doable Challenge is about Healthy Homemade Lunches, this week I'd like to focus on leftovers for lunch rather than dinner. Having a healthy midday meal can be as simple as doubling up on a healthy dinner that reheats well, like soup, stew, or chili, or making extra of a pasta or pilaf that tastes as good at room temperature as it does hot. Or, you can make a double, triple, or quadruple batch of staples like grains, pasta, or beans, to be used through out the week. I also often use a number of different leftover "scraps" (a bit of cooked fish, chicken, or steak, a hard boiled egg, roast vegetables) along with some quinoa or whole wheat pasta and greens to make a hearty salad for lunch. Registered dietitian Tina Ruggierio, who I interviewed for the lunch challenge, takes
Looking for a meal that's hearty enough for dinner, but stress-free enough for breakfast? Why not try a hash? It's a perfect way to use the leftovers taking up space in your fridge, while creating something that's incredibly delicious in the process. Today, we're combining cooked chicken with Yukon gold potatoes and fresh spinach. This comforting meal is packed with protein and nutrient-rich greens, so you can go back for seconds without giving it a second thought!
Chicken, Potato, and Spinach Hash
2 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts (6 to 8 ounces each)
6 teaspoons olive oil
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
1 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
2 large shallots, diced small
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 pound spinach, trimmed, washed, and coarsely chopped
Fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat oven toRead More »from Get Cozy with This Chicken and Potato Hash
Chrissy Teigan's Chipotle BBQ Chicken Thighs With Mango Salsa"Bold flavors are my favorite, and this dish is spicy and tart," says Teigen. "Trust me: It's a crazy-good crowd-or-date pleasing meal."
Chipotle BBQ Chicken Thighs
4 chicken thighs
2 7.5 oz cans chipotle peppers in adobo
8 large garlic cloves
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 c your favorite BBQ sauce
3/4 c brown sugar
1 tsp paprika
1/2 lime, juiced
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup Jack Daniels. "Or vodka. Whatever," Teigen says.
Guess Who's Coming To Dinner? Ali Larter Cooks Up A Party In The Hollywood Hills
Love In Style: The ELLE Guide To Weddings
1. Place chicken thighs in a bowl. To create marinade, combine all of the other ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Pour marinade over chicken. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for as long as you can-anything over an hour is ideal.Read More »from Chrissy Teigen’s Date-Night Dinner Recipe
2. Place chicken (and extra sauce) in a baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, occasionally spooning sauce over the
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
- So This Must Be What Santa Claus Drinks on VacationSat, Dec 14, 2013 6:10 PM EST
- We've Officially Fused December's Two Most Decadent TreatsSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:09 AM EST
- Gorgeous Graphic Cookies -- No Special Tools (or, Um, Skills) RequiredSun, Dec 15, 2013 11:12 AM EST