This traditional spaghetti and tomato sauce recipe gets an upgrade with the addition of smoky, salty bacon and zesty red onion. Plus, it only takes 30 minutes to make.
• Kosher salt
• Freshly ground pepper
• 1 pound(s) spaghetti
• 1 1/4 pound(s) bacon, chopped
• 1 medium red onion, diced
• 1 can(s) (28-ounce) Whole Peeled Tomatoes, puréed and strained
• 1/8 teaspoon(s) red pepper flakes
• 1 1/2 ounce(s) Pecorino Romano, grated
Plus: 49 Kid-Friendly Family Recipes »
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat and cook bacon until tender, about 5 minutes. Add red onion and cook until translucent, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and red pepper flakes. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until sauce is slightly reduced, about 8 minutes.
2. Strain spaghetti, reserving 1/4 cup pasta water. Add spaghetti and pasta water to sauce, and toss. Season with salt and