Source: 5 Gorgeous Decorating Solutions For Your Pint-Sized Place
A mansion in the hills may be on the horizon, but how do you deal with your current digs, aka that small space of yours? Your humble abode may seem like a hassle to decorate since it's just a temporary situation, but it doesn't have to feel like a college dorm room. With some simple tips and a little organizing, your pint-sized place can feel spacious, luxe, and cozy (in a good way).
- Reflect: Mirrors are the easiest way to create the illusion of a bigger space. Floor-length mirrors like the ones seen in Jane Aldridge's apartment add visual space and length to a room. They don't have to be simple either. From contemporary to traditional, mirrors go beyond function as statement pieces to show off your style.
- Stack high: If you can't go out, then go up! Using your walls for more than framed art and optimizing every inch will work to your advantage. Floating shelves, bookcases, and peg boards will keep you organized and show off your belongings. Display statement pieces and mementos by hanging them and arranging them on shelves. Keep the unmentionables (like office supplies, paperwork, and tech cords) out of sight in decorative baskets and bins.
More from CasaSugar: 8 Smart Strategies For Creating an Urban Outdoor Oasis
- Brighten up: Lighting is important, but floor and desk lamps often take up space that you don't have. Choosing wall lighting and pendant lamps is a practical solution but will also provide a unique focal point and decorative element.
- Play with texture: Adding texture and layers to a small space will create interest and depth. A light-colored rug can open up a room and make it feel larger, not to mention cover up unsightly marks or ugly renters' carpet. Adding curtains will bring height to a window or wall that might otherwise seem small.
- Accessorize: Not all decorative accessories mean clutter. Choose practical room decor that acts as storage to show off your style. A lacquered tray to display your jewelry or a collection of textured glass vases looks like art, but is perfect for storage.
Keep these tips in mind for your small space, and you will have a big-home feel without the hassle of cleaning one.
Small Space Inspiration at Chicago's New Longman & Eagle Hotel
Janet Lee Shares Her Tips and Tricks For Living Fabulously in a Tiny Space
13 Door Knockers to Add Personality and Style to Your Entrance
Follow CasaSugar on Twitter
Become a Fan of CasaSugar on Facebook