A hybrid of two classics, this dessert from the Barefoot Contessa takes the best from both the apple pie and apple crisp, and makes an amazing addition to any holiday menu.
- 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup(s) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- 1 cup(s) (2 sticks) unsalted butter, diced, very cold
- 1/4 cup(s) ice water
- 1 1/2 pound(s) McIntosh or Gala apples
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) ground allspice
- 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup(s) sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- 1/4 cup(s) (1/2 stick) butter
Related: 8 Irresistible Apple Dessert Recipes
1. Prepare Crust: In food processor, pulse flour, sugar, and salt until combined. Take off lid and add butter. With fingers, being careful of sharp blades, toss butter to coat with flour. Replace lid and pulse 12 to 15 times or until pea-size clumps form. With motor running, add ice water through feed tube. Pulse to combine, stopping just before dough comes together completely.
2. Transfer dough to floured surface; pat into 2 even disks. Wrap each with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 disk at least 1 hour; freeze other for another use.
3. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. On lightly floured surface, with rolling pin, roll dough into 11-inch round. Transfer to prepared cookie sheet.
4. Prepare Apple Filling: Peel, core, and cut apples into quarters. Cut each quarter into 3 or 4 chunks. In bowl, toss apples with orange peel. Arrange apples on dough round, leaving 1 1/2-inch border.
5. Prepare Topping: In food processor, combine cinnamon, allspice, and remaining 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add remaining 1/4 cup butter, pulsing until mixture is crumbly. Transfer to medium bowl. With fingers, rub mixture until clumps form. Sprinkle evenly over apples. Gently fold edge of dough over apples, pleating and pressing to make circle.
6. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until crust is golden brown and apples are tender. Let crostata cool on pan on wire rack 5 minutes. Slide parchment paper with crostata onto wire rack and cool completely.
- Ina Garten
More from Good Housekeeping: