Another Monday means it's time to refocus on fast cooking. To get dinner on the table quickly, choose the right techniques and start with high-quality ingredients (so you don't have to do a lot to them). Read on to see how you can be a speedier cook.
Related: 15 Kitchen Shortcuts That Will Change the Way You Cook
Set yourself up for success. Prep ahead if you can. When you have extra time on the weekends to make broth or marinara, make large batches and freeze the leftovers. You'll thank yourself later when a recipe's ingredient list calls for them. The work is already done for you!
Use high-impact ingredients. Soy sauce and Parmesan have something in common: Both are robust ingredients where someone else has put in all the effort (they take over a year to produce). Take advantage of the convenience and lean on these ingredients to add quick flavor.
Related: Easy, Everyday Meatless Recipes
Choose fast-cooking methods and foods. There's a reason we love broiling and other no-fuss ways to cook: They're fast and easy. You could broil a piece of salmon in 10 minutes or less and have dinner on the table not long afterward. Choose a side that's fast too. Couscous is one of our go-to options because it's both quick and easy to make.
What are your favorite tips to speed up the cooking process?
More from Everyday Food:
10 Healthy and Delicious Smoothie Recipes to Try
Favorite One-Pot Meals for the Family
31 Delicious, No-Fail Cookie Recipes
Bacon, 46 Ways to Cook and Eat It
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
What to Cook Now
Food Photo Galleries
1 - 4 of 29