This recipe comes from Marge Edelman of Copaigue, New York. You can shape the matzo balls up to one day ahead (skip step 3 of the recipe until ready to proceed); keep covered in the refrigerator.
1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup onion, minced, plus 1 small onion cut into 1/2-inch dice
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons matzo meal
2 tablespoons seltzer water
1 whole chicken leg, split and skin removed (10 ounces)
1 celery stalk, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces
1 carrot, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
1. In a small nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat. Add minced onion, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes; let cool.
2. In a medium bowl, combine remaining 2 tablespoons oil, eggs, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and matzo meal. Add seltzer and cooled onion; stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate at least 45 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine chicken, celery, carrot, and diced onion. Add broth and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook 30 minutes.
4. With oiled hands, shape matzo mixture into 8 balls, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 15 minutes.
5. Remove chicken from broth; shred meat, and discard bones. Return broth to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Add matzo balls; cover, and cook until expanded, 30 to 35 minutes. Stir in shredded chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
More from Everyday Food:
15-Minutes or Less Weeknight Dinners
50 Healthiest Main Dish Recipes
Favorite One-Pot Meals for the Family
Sweet Snacks Under 200 Calories
- 10 Self-Help Books for the New GenerationMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:38 PM EST
- Do You Have the Most Vivid Memories from Your Life from Age 15 to 25?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 11:35 AM EST
- Is Your Gym Making You Sick?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 10:10 AM EST
- Better Together: 4 Reasons Why I'm Glad My Kids Share a RoomTue, Feb 5, 2013 2:51 PM EST
- Is Lisa Ling's Father a Pothead?Tue, Feb 5, 2013 3:29 PM EST
- Nerding Out in Nature: One Smart Phone. Two Kids. Tons of FunTue, Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM EST
- PHOTOS: The Best Chevron Wedding DetailsTue, Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM EST
- Roadblocks to Intimacy--and How to Get Around ThemMon, Feb 4, 2013 6:50 PM EST
- How to Conquer Your 10 Biggest Marriage FearsFri, Feb 22, 2013 3:23 PM EST
What to Cook Now
Food Photo Galleries
1 - 4 of 29