ThinkstockA new study of 3,000 women conducted by Superdrug found that one in three women refuse to go out in public without wearing makeup. As in, they can't even run out to the grocery store or to pick up their kid without makeup on. Really? Nearly half of all women say they prefer to wear cosmetics than to show their bare face. But what's the most shocking of all: one in ten women polled said they would never ever let their partner see them without a full face of makeup on.
Sara Wolverson of Superdrug told the Daily Mail: "For many women, putting their makeup on is an important part of their day, and the thought of people seeing them without can be horrifying. We know that when it comes to cutting back, cosmetics are seen as an essential. Wearing and buying cosmetics is not about vanity. It's about giving a woman confidence to succeed in every area of their life."
But really, how is it that some of these women will be intimate with their man, but won't show him her natural face? Makeup is pretty, but it's not always necessary!
[Related: Sweat-proof makeup you can wear to the gym]The Daily Mail reached out to Jackie Fletcher, a life coach from Hampshire, who said a woman's relationship with makeup is not just about her outward appearance, but also what's going on on the inside. "Make-up can help with a sense of self-respect," said Fletcher. "The reality is that we do judge people by how they look, and this can be especially important for women in business who often need to appear professional. But there is another side to it. If the reason for wearing make-up lies in the woman feeling worried that people will judge her for the way she looks rather than who she is, that's a problem that needs to be addressed."
More stats from the poll:
- Over 33% felt their partner would not have been attracted to them if they hadn't been wearing makeup when they met
- The average woman waits 2.5 months before going makeup-less in front of her partner
- 14% of women get out of bed early to put on makeup before their partner wakes up
- Six in 10 women will not go to work without makeup
- Nearly 25% believe they would be ignored for a promotion if they didn't wear makeup
- 37% think their managers would assume they didn't take care of themselves
How important is wearing makeup to you? Take our poll and select all the answers that apply to your cosmetics habits.
Other popular stories on Yahoo!:
• 'Twilight' star's unique plan for her massive fortune
• Former 'Full House' actress engaged
• Tennis star stuns in wild 'Wonderland' dress