The answer is yes (you'll see why below), but just for argument's sake, let's say you had to choose between beauty and brains. Which would you pick?
Well, the pros of being pretty are sort of obvious. Life's good when you're hot (as this celebrity knows well). You get more attention and better perks than someone who is frumpy and spends all her time with her nose buried in a book.
On the other hand, if you're smart, guys will actually want to talk to you, not just stare at your lady parts. And since most men already find brainy girls attractive, you won't have to worry about spending money on Botox to look good.
But then we did some digging, and we found these 15 smartest celebrities in Hollywood. They're totally gorgeous and seriously intelligent, and they prove you don't have to choose between the two. Keep reading to see our top 7 picks (or you can click here to see the entire countdown).
- She attended the renowned Dragon School in Oxford and then went on to study at Headington School.
- She achieved ten A grades in her GCSEs while filming for the "Harry Potter" movies. Pretty impressive.
- She is currently enrolled at Brown University (although there are rumors that she might take a small break to focus on her acting career).
If that's not enough to convince you, Emma Watson plays the brainy Hermione Granger in the "Harry Potter" series. 'Nuff said.
Coming in at No. 6 Alicia Keys
- She began playing classical music on the piano at age seven. Can you say prodigy?
- She attended the Professional Performing Arts School in Manhattan, and her grades were so good that she was allowed to graduate as valedictorian of her class at the age of 16.
- She received a scholarship to Columbia University, which she gave up to pursue her music career.
If I had to choose between Alicia Keys' looks and smarts, I would definitely pick her looks. No, her smarts. Ugh, who am I kidding -- her voice is the clear winner in this battle.
Coming in at No. 5: Lucy Liu
- She graduated from New York's prestigious Stuyvesant High School, and then attended New York University for a year.
- She transferred to the University of Michigan and graduated with a degree in Asian languages and cultures.
- She is also fluent in Mandarin Chinese, Italian, Spanish and Japanese.
Who says pretty girls can't solve mysteries? Lucy Liu kicks butt in "Charlie's Angels" and uses her smarts to bring down the bad guys.
- Claire Danes attended the Professional Performing Arts School and the Lycee Francais des Los Angeles.
- She also studied psychology at Yale for two years.
- Oliver Stone wrote her Yale letter of recommendation. Yeah, the famous director. No wonder she was a shoo-in.
People say brainy girls don't get any action, but who could forget the steamy kiss Claire Danes shared with Leo DiCaprio in "Romeo and Juliet"? I think this proves just how wrong that statement is.
Coming in at No. 3: Kate Beckinsale
- At the early age of six, a school report found she had the reading age of an 11-year-old.
- She won several writing competitions in her teens for her short stories and poems.
- She was accepted into New Oxford College, where she studied French and Russian literature for three years.
- She also speaks German, Russian and French fluently.
Kate Beckinsale has a killer British accent and she plays a sexy vampire in the movie "Underworld." What's not to like?
- She attended The Buckley School, where she made the National Honor Society and was voted "Most Likely To Succeed" by her classmates.
- She was then accepted into Harvard, where she studied religion and philosophy.
- While at Harvard, she belonged to several associations, including the Signet Society.
Have you seen "I Love You Man"? Rashida Jones is sexy, witty and can make you laugh. If that's not every guy's dream, I don't know what is.
Coming in at No. 1: Natalie Portman
- She graduated from Harvard University with a bachelor's degree in psychology. Yep, Harvard.
- She has also been published in several scientific journals and spoke at a guest lecture in Columbia.
- She speaks Hebrew fluently and can pretty much carry on a conversation in French, German, Japanese and Spanish.
I wonder if Natalie Portman's Harvard degree helped her develop her "Black Swan" character, since that girl clearly had some issues.