Twin sisters Heather and Heidi Palmer are the creative force behind True Birds, a hair accessories brand sold at Nordstrom, Henri Bendel, and Fred Segal. In anticipation of summer, the Palmers created several runway-inspired pieces for ELLE.com. See their simple step-by-step instructions below!Chanel Hair Accessory
LACE HEADBAND WITH CROCHET DETAILING
Runway Inspiration: Chanel
At the Chanel spring 2010 show, a procession of country coquettes breezed by haystacks after emerging from a towering barn. In adapting Chanel's rustic-chic theme, the Palmers suggest combining the fashion house's flowery prints, crochet textures, and lace into a homespun headband.
Besides a needle, thread, and scissors, you'll need:
-30" beaded stretch-lace. "You can pick up pre-beaded stretch-lace at any fabric or craft store for around a dollar a yard."
-Flower-embroidered doily. "Find a family heirloom doily or other stitch work that is packed away and bring it to life again by accenting your band with it. Can't find a treasure? Visit your local craft or vintage store, or try a handmade site like etsy.com."
1. Measure lace to head and cut.
2. Overlap ends of lace 1 to 1 ½".
3. Stitch ends together with needle and thread.
4. Cut doily (or other embellishment) to desired shape and size.
5. Hand-stitch doily piece slightly to the side of center.
Runway Inspiration: Dolce & Gabbana
Antique hair accessories are in-to capture the trend, as seen at Dolce & Gabbana in the form of glittering-gold hair combs, the Palmers recommend "jazzing up" that old barrette hiding in the back of your bathroom drawer.
Besides a barrette, pliers, and hot-glue gun, you'll need:
-Pearls, buttons, and/or gemstones. "We went through an old sewing kit and found these vintage gold-and-cream buttons. You can also go scavenging for unique decals at thrift, fabric, and craft stores."
1. If applying buttons, use pliers to clip off the backings.
2. Layout design on barrette.
3. Hot-glue buttons, pearls, and/or gems onto the marked design.
SEQUIN HAIR TIE WITH CIRCULAR BOW
Runway Inspiration: Balmain
Balmain's sparkling spring 2010 collection assured sequins would be lusted after for months to come! To bring instant glamour to any outfit-plus a touch of Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland (check out the bow!)-the Palmer sisters have the perfect recipe, no needle and thread required.
Besides scissors, you'll need:
-2 yards of woven sequin trim or fabric, 1" to 2" in width
-2 shower curtain rings, drapery rings, or dowels. "Being recessionistas, we tried to incorporate as many things in the home as we possibly could. If you don't have spare shower curtain rings or drapery rings handy, you can find dowels at any craft or hardware store."
1. Thread first ring through trim, stopping at the center. Wrap one end of the trim around ring until the circle is completely covered.
2. Thread second ring through trim from opposite end, until it meets the first ring at the center. Wrap remaining end of trim around ring until the circle is completely covered.
3. Once both rings are covered, wind each end of the trim around the center one or two times to form a bow.
4. Loop each end of the trim under the opposite ring and pull through.
IMPERFECT BRIGHT BOW
Runway Inspiration: Marc by Marc Jacobs
In channeling Madonna in Desperately Seeking Susan, designer Marc Jacobs crafted vibrant, overize bows. To pay similar homage to the pop icon's coif confection, attach a fabric bow to a headband or hair clip. Here, the Palmers' tips on how to be a material girl.
Besides a needle, thread, scissors, and headband/clip, you'll need:
-Fabric material. "We love silk dupioni because of its iridescence-the color changes depending on the way the light hits it. If you don't feel like running out to a fabric store, you can also cut cloth from a colorful shirt or pants you no longer wear."
1. Cut fabric piece to 12" x 8".
2. Fold fabric once, and stitch ends closed.
3. Scrunch and twist at center.
4. Wrap strip of fabric, about 1 ½" width, around the middle and stitch to secure.
5. Attach bow to headband with hot glue or slide clip through fabric strip and clamp down.
Need more guidance? Click here for Heather and Heidi Palmer's video how-to.
Photos: Hair accessories: Courtesy of True Birds; models: Imaxtree
- Cameron Diaz's Hairstyles - Vote For The Star's Best Coifs
- Summer Beauty Trends: Carefree Curls and Colorful Makeup
- Cannes Hairstyle Face-Off: Vote For Celebrities' Best Dos During The Film Festival