By Alexandra Samuel, SELF magazine
Are you wearing makeup today? Well, on Monday - I dare you to skip it! That's right - leave your foundation brush and mascara wand in your makeup case and bare all. Why? Because from now on, Mondays are "Makeup Free Mondays," a great challenge started by Alexis Wolfer, the founder of TheBeautyBean.com to help fight against the belief that women aren't pretty unless they have their face on.
How does Alexis keep her skin in top form?
"I drink a lot of water, eat healthfully and take care of my skin on a regular basis. On Sundays, though, I try to exfoliate well to remove that extra layer of dull, dead skin, moisturize a lot, and get a good night's sleep! In the morning, exercising always gets my circulation going and helps my skin glow. I also apply a caffeinated eye gel (I keep it in the fridge of an extra boost!) to help with any under eye darkness and puffiness. Finally, I take the time I'd spend for my makeup routine to watch a morning show, browse my fave websites (like SELF.com) and relax before embarking on the day!"
So how can you participate?
1. Skip makeup on Mondays (or, if this totally freaks you out, just wear less. I won't tell)
2. Don't appologize for not wearing makeup! You're gorgeous, let it show!
3. Organize Makeup Free Mondays with friends and co-workers
4. Tweet us (@SELFMagazine) and Alexis (@thebeautybean) and share your photos!
And, of course, SELF's got some great tips to get your skin gorgeous without makeup (and a super exclusive pic of a barefaced Jayma Mays) on page 40 of the February issue. Check it out!
More from SELF:
- Let Jillian Train You: Get 76 Free Recipes and 4 Fat-Burning Workouts
- 10 Ways to Lose Weight Like a Guy
- Gwyneth Paltrow Opens Up About Postpartum Depression: Could You Be at Risk?
- The Workweek Diet
- From Gaga to Giuliana: The Year in Celebrity Health News
Photo Credit: WWD