Put your best face forward with the gentlest of ingredients.
- Charu Suri, BettyConfidential.com
To celebrate Earth Month, this article is the fourth in a series of six eco-friendly pieces that will be running in BettyConfidential.
When you think of eco-friendly or organic cosmetics, do you think of smelly products that don't last or look good? Those days have changed! Josie Maran, a model turned actress, created a line of chic eco-friendly cosmetics that has garnered a lot of celeb love! Courteney Cox , known for her luminoud skin, is one of 8 celebs who've just designed co-friendly lipsticks for Cargo Cosmetics Planet Love collection. Courtney's is CeCe. In honor of Earth Month, we've found some great eco-friendly makeup finds that we just had to share!
1. NVEY Organic Crème Deluxe foundation ($58, Sephora.com). A harmonious blend of safflower, jojoba and castor oil makes this foundation smooth, creamy yet deliciously full-coverage. The foundation is free from parabens, sulfates and the other usual suspects synthetics.
2. Alison Raffaele's true concealer ($23, allisonrafaelle.com). Your raccoon eyes are officially history. This powerful concealer is talc and paraben free and does its job beautifully with three antioxidants in its creamy formula. There's a shade for every skin tone; it dries down beautifully to a powder-like finish.
3. Josie Maran pressed powder ($30, josiemaran.com). Josie Maran - model turned actress turned eco-entrepreneur. Her natural line of skin care and cosmetics has earned raves since it first appeared. Her pressed powder was created to work with all complexions- it's sheer and will lightly set your cosmetics. The formula is paraben and fragrance -free. And the compact is made from bio-degradable ingredients.
4. Shimmer waves eye shadow ($22, thebodyshop-usa.com). Made with Community Trade marual oil from Namibia, this quad will repair skin's moisture barrier while making your eyes stand out in a good way.
5. Lavera organic mineral eyeliner ($13.50, lavera.com). It's perfect for sensitive skin as it's made from organic Beeswax and Palm Oil. It gently delivers smooth texture while it accents your eyes.
6. Ecco Bella Flower Color natural mascara ($15.95, eccobella.com). It's formulated without lacquer, alcohol and shellac, so you don't have to worry about lashes breaking or drying out. The mascara is water-resistant. Flip it over and there's a tiny mirror on the side.
7. Jane Iredale In Touch cream blush connection ($26, janeiredale.com). This long-wearing blush glides like velvet on your skin. Made with castor oil, beeswax and real cocoa extract, all these ingredients are very gentle to your skin. The cocoa extract creates a distinctive chocolatey scent and yes, you can use it on your lips too.
8. Living Nature Summer Bronze pressed powder ($37, livingnature.com). You can use this bronzing powder on your face, your décolletage, anywhere you'd like a sun-kissed glow. It doesn't contain parabens, animal ingredients, mineral oils and they don't test on animals. This New Zealand firm packages all their products in recyclable, reusable and reduced packaging.
9. Dr. Hauschka lip gloss ($19.95, beautyhabitat.com). Here's a soothing and shiny gloss that will not only show off your smile, it'll nourish your lips too. Made with Sea Buckthorn oil, beeswax and Mango butter, this gloss will slide on your lips and hug them gently.
10. Planet Love lipsticks by Cargo Cosmetics ($20, cargocosmetics.com). The tube is made from corn! The lipstick doesn't contain mineral oils or petroleums- it has a botanical base instead. They've been certified ECOCort for environmentally friendly packaging, process and product. Celebrities like Angie Harmon, Sarah Chalke, Kim Raver, Robin MCGrath and Courteney Cox collaborated with Cargo Cosmetics to create beautiful Planet Love lipsticks. And $2 from each purchase goes to St. Jude's Children Research Hospital.
Tell us: have you tried eco-friendly beauty products?
To read more from BettyConfidential: