Having trouble falling asleep? Light yoga or stretching can help relax your mind and ease your body into sleep mode. Do these moves right before bed to fall asleep faster and sleep more soundly.
What you'll need: A pillow
Tip: With each pose, breathe in and out through your nose for a calming effect on the nervous system.
Targets: Neck, shoulders, back, hips and legs
- Sit on floor with pillow in front of you. Bend left knee, bringing sole of left foot to right inner thigh. Lift butt and extend right leg behind you.
- Staying centered, gently hinge forward from hips, placing head on pillow. Extend arms forward, elbows slightly bent.
- Hold for 8 to 10 breaths. Roll back up. Switch legs; repeat.
Targets: Back, hips and hamstrings
- Lie faceup. Bend knees into chest and grab inside edges of feet with hands, palms out.
- Bring knees out to sides, then lower toward armpits, keeping heels above knees, feet flexed.
- Hold for 8 to 10 breaths, gently rocking from side to side.
Targets: Hips and legs
- Lie faceup with knees bent, feet flat on floor, arms extended by sides, palms up.
- Keeping shoulders down, engage abs and press into heels to lift hips and back to form a diagonal line from shoulders to knees.
- Hold for 8 to 10 breaths; lower.
The Lazy Girl's Guide to Becoming a Morning Person
Seated Side Bend
Targets: Neck, shoulders, back and obliques
- Sit on pillow in a cross-legged position. Place left hand on floor to side of hip, left elbow slightly bent. Extend right arm by ear.
- Lean to left, keeping butt on floor, shoulders down.
- Hold for 8 to 10 breaths. Switch sides; repeat.
Targets: Neck, shoulders, back and hips
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, knees slightly bent.
- Place right hand on left elbow, left hand on right elbow.
- Bend over from hips, letting arms and head hang down.
- Hold for 8 to 10 breaths. Gently roll back up.
More from FITNESS:
Pre-Race Stretches for Runners
Target Your Tightest Muscles
Quick Treatments for Common Aches & Pains
Get tips from our beauty experts for how to wake up looking fabulous in the September issue of FITNESS, on newsstands now!