By Pia Bhattacharya, SELF magazine
One of my grandmother's specialties was on-the-spot skin fixes. She could whip up an at-home remedy to get the red out of a blemish by morning. Her favorite ingredient for targeting trouble spots? Sandalwood!
Sandalwood, or chandan as she called it, has antiseptic properties that are great for treating acne, and when mixed with the correct ingredients; can work wonders on acne scars. Granny used to grind a piece of moist sandalwood against wood or a flat, round stone to create a powder. Here's a simple way to create her go-to spot treatment.
- Take a tablespoon of pure sandalwood powder (available at many natural and organic stores) and add in two or three drops of water.
- Mix it with a muddler or blunt object (kind of like muddling mint in your mojito) until it becomes a thick, creamy paste.
- Add in two drops of lemon juice and mix till it's completely combined.
- Apply the mixture to any problem spots, acne or scars before you go to bed.
When you wake up, wipe it off with a moist cloth and say hello to clearer skin!
For an even quicker fix, try Juara's Milk and Red Sandalwood Face Mask, $39. Instead of applying it all over, use it as a spot treatment at night for better skin in the morning!
Still need some nourishment? For a beautiful complexion in just 28 days, try SELF's no-fail skin-perfecting plan!
More from SELF:
- Try these superfoods for flat abs!
Check out SELF's stop cellulite workout
- SELF's annual healthy food awards showcases 66 fast fix foods you'll love to eat!
- Find the best swimsuit for your body type now!
Photo Credit: Amazon