Make healthy eating choicesIf you're working on getting fit and sticking to a healthy diet, going out to eat with friends and family can turn into a stressful situation. Getting in shape shouldn't hold you back from social events and having fun! Personally, I love trying out popular restaurants, meeting friends for brunch, and celebrating birthday dinners. Here are some ways to make the best choices when you're faced with an overwhelming menu:
- Be proactive: You know when your friends want to go out to eat, but no one knows where? Step up and suggest your favorite restaurant where you're familiar with the menu.
- Do your research: Most chain restaurants publish their menu online, so you can take a look long before you order.
- Start with soup: One of my favorite soups is Split Pea which I'll order instead of crunchy, fried, finger foods.
- Save the bread basket: Hold your horses a little longer and enjoy the food you ordered before filling up on the bread.
Related: Get fit without spending hours at the gym.
- Aim for veggies: I try and order salads or entrees which contain the most servings of vegetables.
- Play it safe with seafood: Look for grilled salmon or halibut on a menu if you like fish. These items are oftentimes the best dishes on the menu and they are lean, nutritious protein sources.
- Splurge on food not drinks: Sometimes healthier items like seafood or salads with more protein are more expensive than others. But, you can save some money and drink arguably the healthiest drink available by choosing water instead of soda or specialty beverages!
Find more ways to stay fit on Seventeen.com!
Get Motivated By Joining Team 17
Make Healthy Eating Choices
Find Workout Tips on Our Health Blog
Watch Tons of Free Workout Videos