As the temperature drops and days get shorter, we still want to enjoy the outdoors. There is no reason why we can't and there are some great activities we can do to get some exercise, all while having fun. The best part of exercising outdoors during autumn is that you don't get overheated. Remember, however, as days get cooler, dress more warmly to be sure you don't catch a seasonal cold!
Each activity is accompanied with a calorie burn assessment for an individual who is 130 pounds. If you are at a different weight, you can reference the "Calories Burned Chart" on Sheer Balance to know your personal burn. The great thing about most of these activities is that they provide both strength and cardio benefits!
1. Rowing, Canoeing and Kayaking: If you live near water (lake, ocean or river), try getting in some rowing or kayaking. Rivers aren't as full, which will make navigating more difficult terrain (white water and rapids) a bit easier. It is a great way to see the sites!
- Targets: Upper body strength and cardio. Rowing, however, provides a great lower body workout as well.
- Calorie Burn: You can burn up to 413, 502 or 561 calories an hour depending on intensity (numbers are reflective of light, moderate and vigrorous intensity respectively) for rowing; and 295 calories per hour for kayaking.
2. Outdoor Bootcamp: Some cities, such as Boston, have bootcamp classes that go outbound in the nicer weather. If you live in the Boston area, a great one to try is: Beantown Bootcamp.
- Targets: Full body strength and cardio.
- Calorie Burn: You can burn up to 472 calories an hour.
3. Raking Leaves: Don't ever underestimate the power of raking leaves. It is a great activity to do with family and kids too!
- Targets: Upper body strength with some cardio.
- Calorie Burn: 266 calories per hour.
4. Horseback Riding: Many national parks and city parks offer horseback riding. Further, rural and suburban areas throughout the country have horse farms. Horseback riding is great if you love animals and want to feel connected to nature:
- Targets: Lower body strength.
- Calorie Burn: 236 calories per hour for general riding or 472 calories for racing.
5. Hiking: Hiking is absolutely beautiful during the fall because of the beautiful foliage you can see (obviously this is true in more temperate climates).
- Targets: Lower body strength (and upper if you carry a backpack) and cardio.
- Calorie Burn: 354 calories per hour.
6. Golf: Golf is a game that can be enjoyed all the way through the fall. Don't rent the golf-cart, however, as walking will give you a lower body workout and some cardio.
- Targets: Upper and lower body strength.
- Calorie Burn: 207 calories per hour.
And, although these don't necessarily burn as many calories, don't underestimate the power of apple picking and pumpkin picking...not to mention pumpkin carving! So, don't let the change of season slow you down! Keep moving and enjoy!
Tired of dieting? Learn the 5 simple principles that will help you naturally shed excess- pounds and eat healthy for life...without another day of dieting!
Buy "GET REAL" and STOP Dieting! ON SALE NOW!