POPSUGAR FitnessSource: Picnic-Friendly and Portable: Healthy Beach Eats
Staying away from foods that bloat your belly before the beach is helpful, but a girl's got to eat! Grabbing goods from the market is always an available option, but packing some homemade snacks that are easily transportable to the sea can be a real treat. Here are a few ideas we love for picnic-friendly healthy beach eats.
- Roasted Chickpeas: Love to crunch and munch on the beach? Make a bowl of spicy roasted chickpeas to bring with you. You'll also be getting a welcome serving of fiber and protein.
- Roasted Edamame: If you're not a fan of chickpeas, then go for roasted edamame instead. Simply steaming it is delicious, but for a little extra crunch and flavor, roast up these fiber-filled soybeans and sprinkle them with black sesame seeds.
- Tuna-Stuffed Tomatoes: A classic Italian beach eat, tomates rellenos, or stuffed tomatoes, with tuna is a protein-packed and low-carb snack to enjoy at the beach. For the healthiest version that doesn't lose any flavor, try this light tuna salad recipe. Core the tomatoes before you leave home, and spoon in the tuna salad before you bite.
- Crispy Kale Chips: Forget the days of greasy potato chips. Pack up some homemade baked kale chips in order to get your green on without sacrificing any crunch.
- Cooling Dip: The traditional recipes for ranch dip can be calorie-laden and leave you feeling heavy, but subbing in Greek yogurt keeps this creative ranch dip equally cooling and creamy. Pack up the components in two separate containers, so you'll be ready to take a dip whenever the mood strikes.
- Make Your Own Trail Mix: Trail mix is a seemingly healthy snack choice, but sometimes the prepackaged stuff can be full of extra sodium and sugar. Make your own trail mix before you head to the beach. This way you can customize it exactly to your tastes.
- Wrap It Up: This beautiful chickpea salad wrap is a great option for a more filling snack. Sliced bread or a bun can change in texture as the day goes on, but the simple switch to a wrap will hold things up nicely.
- Summer Berries: While fresh fruit is a tasty snack, some of our Summer favorites are not as easily portable or can get a little sticky. Popping fresh berries makes for a delicious treat without the hassle of cleanup.
- Tabbouleh Time: Cutting back on the oil and salt used in more traditional recipes allows the bright, natural flavors of this tabbouleh salad to speak for themselves. Pack up a container of tupperware with this salad, grab some whole wheat pita, and you've got a perfect beach snack ready to go.