Spoiled Foods Can Be Safe to Eat

Photo by: Condé Nast Digital Studio
Is it OK to trim off the moldy parts of cheese, fruit and yogurt and eat the rest?-
Hard cheeses (cheddar, Parmesan, Swiss) are safe to consume once you've removed... more 
Photo by: Condé Nast Digital Studio
Is it OK to trim off the moldy parts of cheese, fruit and yogurt and eat the rest?-
Hard cheeses (cheddar, Parmesan, Swiss) are safe to consume once you've removed the moldy portion and about an inch around it. But beware of fuzzy or odd-colored spots on soft cheeses (goat, cottage), as well as produce and yogurt. Mold spreads easily on these foods because they're moist, so it's best to discard the whole thing, advises Christine Bruhn, Ph.D., director of the Center for Consumer Research at the University of California at Davis. Mold in the veins of blue cheeses and on the rind of Brie and Camembert is supposed to be eaten; for these varieties, abide by the use-by date. What if you accidentally eat some "bad" mold? The taste will likely tip you off before you consume enough to become ill.
Related: Find Out Your Caloric Needs


More from SELF:

Check out Jillian Michaels' Jump Start meal plan
Destress with Yoga: How To Do A Sun Salutation
10 Ways to Lose Weight Like a Guy
less 
1 / 6
Tue, Nov 8, 2011 6:21 PM EST
By Stephanie Clarke, R.D., and Willow Jarosh, R.D., SELF magazine



When to enjoy and when to ditch questionable foods like moldy cheese and more.