tearsA week after General David Petraeus' affair with writer Paula Broadwell was exposed, it remains big news. He's gotten a lot of flack for the betrayal of his wife Holly. Though not everyone is being hard on the disgraced ex-CIA chief. Pat Robertson, host of the conservative Christian chat show The 700 Club, claims to understand why he strayed. "The man is in a foreign land and he's lonely and here's a good looking lady throwing herself at him and ... he's a man," Robertson said.
More from The Stir: 10 Tips for Getting Over a Cheating Spouse That Really Do Work
Is it just me, or is that a ridiculously lame excuse? Well, we took a poll to find out what drives a man into the bed of another woman. Take a look at 20 real reasons men give for cheating:
- "Not adventurous enough in bed."
- "I'm just not attracted to my wife anymore."
- "Relationships and the conversations that come with them are boring."
- "Someone who's willing to be a little wilder comes around."
- "Everything was always so serious. Bills, mortgage, kids. I wanted to have some fun."
- "The sex is always the same. It was like having the exact same thing for dinner every single night. I needed something else."
- "We don't have enough sex."
- "I drank too much and made a bad decision."
- "She's always tired."
- "When she was sick, I didn't feel right asking her for it."
- "My wife's just such a mean person."
- "She cheated first."
- "I realized I was gay."
- "I didn't think I would ever get caught."
- "I wanted to test out what an open relationship would be like. Then I was going to tell her."
- "I don't love her as much as I used to."
- "Humans aren't meant to be monogamous."
- "Like Chris Rock said, 'Men are only as faithful as their options.'"
- "All she does is complain and there is nothing sexy about that."
- "Things haven't been the same since we had kids."
More from The Stir: Anti-Cheating Wedding Rings Won't Stop Your Husband From Cheating
What other excuses have you heard?
Image via Megyarsh/Flickr
More from The Stir: