Marriage and family therapist Carin Goldstein promises on her blog, Be the Smart Wife, to teach you "how to take care of yourself and your marriage without killing your husband." Read on for her suggestions on how to strengthen your marriage.
1. When it comes to conflict, it's not about winning. If your goal is to win, you will lose. Instead, take the time to truly understand your partner's perspective rather than dismiss it.
2. Happy couples are not perfect couples -- there's no such thing. Instead, accept each other's differences, and have compassion for one another.
3. Take the time to be present with your partner and really listen to him or her with attention. Turn off the TV, the blackberry, the iPad, the computer and give your marriage the attention in not only deserves, but needs.
4. Your partner's job is not to "rescue" you from your old childhood wounds - that's for you, as an adult to understand and nurture. Instead, think of yourself as a "the cake" and your partner as the "icing" on top. He or she is there to compliment you as a person, rather than take care of you.
More from REDBOOK:
Could You Go a Week Without Yelling?
Have the Hottest Sex of Your Life…with Your Husband
- 6 Shocking Reasons Why Men Stray
- 101 Date Night Ideas
- Get More on Love, Family & Fashion - Subscribe to REDBOOK & Save Up to 84%!
Connect with REDBOOK:
- Become our Fan on Facebook
- Sign Up for REDBOOK's Free Weekly Newsletter
- Follow Us on Twitter
- Enter to Win FREE Daily Prizes
Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.